Shape Therapeutics (ShapeTx) is a development-stage biotechnology company establishing itself as the leader in next-generation gene therapy. Our novel technology platform enables direct in vivo targeting/modification of RNA by leveraging ADARs (Adenosine Deaminase Acting on RNA), suppressor tRNAs, and engineered adeno-associated viruses (AAVs).
ShapeTx is providing solutions to many of the challenges that contemporary genome engineering technologies face (like CRISPR, TALENs, etc.), such as permanent off-target damage, high risk of immunogenicity and therefore low in vivo applicability as effective gene therapy approaches. ShapeTx’s technology instead engages natural human cellular machinery to target RNA with high in vivo efficiency.
At ShapeTx, we are a dynamic team of professionals who are dedicated and passionate about making cures a reality. Through diversity of thought, scientific knowledge, professional rigor and focus we are merging cutting-edge science with extensive drug development expertise to unlock cures to many debilitating diseases.
Shape Therapeutics is headquartered in Seattle, Washington with a satellite site in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
ShapeTx is looking for an Accounting Manager that will manage a set of accounting activities to ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, corporate policies and support external audits. In this role, you will create, execute, and mange accounting operations. This role will manage a growing set of activities as the company’s complexities increase by developing a team of accounting professionals, engaging with internal and external stakeholders as the company establishes and advances its therapeutic pipeline.
This person will oversee daily accounting operations and manage the accounts payable function, payroll and expense processing, monthly closing of accounts and preparation of reports in support of the financial statements. The Accounting Manager will work closely with the contract Corporate Controller and others in the organization in analysis and reconciliation of accounts and in development and implementation of accounting policies, procedures and controls.
This person will report directly to the CFO. The ideal candidate possesses leadership capabilities, solid operational accounting, some technical accounting background and works proactively to drive results. This person is a self-starter, flexible, has a high level of integrity, and is goal-oriented in a fast-paced, collaborative environment. This is an exciting opportunity as one of the initial Finance hires to develop core operational processes and an accounting team within a rapidly growing corporate environment.
Title and compensation commensurate with level of experience.
- Oversee and manage accounting functions, including treasury and fixed asset accounting, accounts payable, payroll processing, and expense reporting.
- Participate in the monthly financial close including ensuring all costs incurred are properly recorded, preparing journal entries, pre-clinical and manufacturing accruals, account reconciliations, and report preparation.
- Participate in the ongoing development/establishment of accounting policies and procedures and operational strategies including the review and implementation of process and system changes.
- Continued focus on improving system efficiencies and business practices
- Work in a precise and efficient manner. Manage tasks within agreed upon deadlines
- Participate in strategic financial projects including implementations of accounting software systems with a strategic view on internal controls for eventual SOX compliance
- Collaborate with external auditors to ensure successful audit results and compliance
- Develop people, including recruitment, retention, and career development of staff at all levels. Establish positive norms that build a culture based on individual accountability, creativity, and mutual support. Implement strategies to ensure that the staff are collaborative, strategic partners across the company.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance preferred
- Requires a 6+ years of accounting experience with a minimum of 3 years direct supervisory experience in an operational environment providing direction to others
- Experience in biotech/pharma industry preferred
- Experience in US GAAP and Sarbanes-Oxley-compliant environments
- Experience with tight deadlines and responsibility for accuracy and timeliness
- Advanced Excel skills required
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Solid understanding of operational accounting utilizing QuickBooks with ability to transition to an ERP system
- High attention to detail, excellent organizational skills and the ability to work on multiple projects
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and proven ability to work with limited supervision
- An eagerness to learn and take on challenges in a rapidly-growing and dynamic environment.
- Demonstrated experience with process improvements
- Entrepreneurial mindset and ability to function in a complex and ambiguous environment