Shape Therapeutics (ShapeTx) is a development stage biotechnology company establishing itself as the leader in next generation gene therapy. Our novel technology platform enables direct in vivo targeting of RNA by leveraging ADARs (Adenosine Deaminase Acting on RNA), suppressor tRNAs, and engineered adeno-associated viruses (AAVs).
ShapeTx is providing solutions to many of the challenges that contemporary genome engineering technologies face (like CRISPR, TALENs, etc.), such as permanent off-target damage, high risk of immunogenicity and therefore low in vivo applicability as effective gene therapy approaches. ShapeTx’s technology instead engages natural human cellular machinery to target RNA with high in vivo efficiency.
At ShapeTx, we are a dynamic team of professionals who are dedicated and passionate about making cures a reality. Through diversity of thought, scientific knowledge, professional rigor and focus we are merging cutting-edge science with extensive drug development expertise to unlock cures to many debilitating diseases.
Shape Therapeutics is headquartered in Seattle, Washington with satellite sites in Cambridge, Massachusetts and San Francisco, California.
ShapeTx is looking for a strong molecular biologist and virologist to join the Research team as Scientist/Sr. Scientist, AAV Engineering. In this position, the successful candidate will join the Delivery Sciences team and play a critical role in developing and optimizing ShapeTx’s Engineered AAV platform. This role will also involve vector optimization for high efficiency delivery of ShapeTx's novel payloads. The ideal candidate will have deep molecular biology expertise with a demonstrated track record of viral vector engineering. Scientific creativity, a collaborative spirit and a desire to work in a fast-paced startup environment are essential.
Title and compensation commensurate with level of experience.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to novel AAV capsid design and screening
- Evaluate novel AAV capsids (tropism, biodistribution, production, etc.)
- Partner with disease biology leads to design and execute a delivery strategy
- Optimize viral vector molecular designs for efficient delivery of ShapeTx’s RNA-targeted therapies
- Serve as a subject matter expert on AAV vectors and technologies
- Keep organized and detailed records using an electronic laboratory notebook
- PhD in virology, molecular biology or related field
- 0-4+ years of post-doctoral research and/or biotech research experience
- Demonstrated track record of success in the AAV field, evidenced by high impact peer-reviewed publications and/or patents
Skills and Experience:
- Broad molecular biology expertise
- Deep experience with a variety of cloning techniques (restriction enzyme cloning, Gibson Assembly, Golden Gate Assembly, etc.)
- Deep expertise in AAV biology (e.g. capsid design, vector optimization, production, etc.)
- Experience designing and optimizing AAV viral vectors for therapeutic application
- Possess a high degree of energy, flexibility, motivation and a strong work ethic
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team-science environment
- Ability to think outside the box and tackle challenges with a problem-solving attitude
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills