Shape Therapeutics is a biotechnology company developing next-generation RNA-targeted therapies to treat the world’s most challenging diseases. The ShapeTX technology platform includes RNAskip™, a proprietary suppressor tRNA technology that enables premature stop codon readthrough; RNAfixTM, a precision RNA editing technology using endogenous Adenosine Deaminase Acting on RNA (ADAR); and AAVidTM, a next-generation engineered adeno-associated virus (AAV) platform producing highly specific, tissue-tropic AAVs. The power of the ShapeTX platforms resides in redirecting the cellular machinery already present in our cells, thereby bypassing the risks of immunogenicity and DNA damage seen with other contemporary editing technologies.
At ShapeTX, we are a dynamic team of professionals who are dedicated and passionate about making cures a reality. Through diversity of thought, scientific knowledge, professional rigor and focus we are merging cutting-edge science with extensive drug development expertise to unlock cures to many debilitating diseases. Shape Therapeutics is headquartered in Seattle, Washington with a satellite site in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
ShapeTX is looking for a gene therapy industry leader with AAV expertise to serve as Head of Delivery Sciences. In this role, you will refine and execute the company’s viral and nonviral delivery strategy, manage a growing team of high performing scientists and engage with internal and external stakeholders to advance ShapeTX’s delivery platform. This role will be Research-focused, but you will collaborate closely with the CMC team to guide the transition of therapeutic candidates from Research into Manufacturing. You will serve on the Research Leadership Team and play a key role in aligning Delivery Sciences with Technology Development and Disease Biology. You will also be expected to exemplify and cultivate ShapeTX’s values and culture.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a high-growth startup and lead the delivery strategy for a pioneering RNA targeting technology to create the next generation of gene therapies. The ideal candidate will have deep expertise in AAV engineering and application to gene therapy, with a demonstrated track record of successful research-to-development transitions. Creativity, scientific rigor and a thirst for excellence are essential.
Title and compensation commensurate with level of experience.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Oversee the development of ShapeTx’s Delivery Sciences Team, encompassing AAV capsid engineering, AAV vector optimization and AAV production, as well as select non-viral technologies
- Refine and execute a strategy for Delivery Sciences that is aligned with company leadership and collaborative partners, encompassing virus engineering, vector optimization, screening, analytics, and research-scale manufacturing.
- Provide technical and managerial leadership to team members (e.g. day-to-day technical guidance, data review, project and people management, etc.)
- Apply a data-driven strategic framework to prioritize resource allocation and make effective “go/no-go” decisions
- Evaluate new delivery technology opportunities, both viral and non-viral, in collaboration with Business Development and the Research Leadership Team
- Engage with Process Development/CMC, Regulatory and Nonclinical Development to support the Research-to-Development transition of therapeutic candidates
- Manage career development and performance of research staff, hire top talent and integrate new team members to maintain a strong team dynamic of respect, creativity and collaboration
- Oversee competitive intelligence in relevant scientific areas by interacting with external experts, attending scientific meetings, and staying up-to-date on literature
- Represent ShapeTx to the external scientific community via presentations, publications, etc.
- Contribute to the patent landscape to ensure unique IP creation and subsequent filing of patents
- PhD in virology, molecular biology or related life science discipline
- At least 10 years of experience in the biotechnology and/or pharmaceutical industry
- At least 5 years of technical leadership and proven ability to manage high performing teams effectively
- Expertise in AAV biology, therapeutic vector delivery and a demonstrated ability of taking a viral vector-based product into clinical development
- Proven success and strong track record in gene therapy and delivery methods through publications in top tier journals and asset creation
Skills and Experience:
- Ability to operate and thrive in a fast-paced, start-up environment
- Entrepreneurial mindset and ability to function in a complex and ambiguous environment
- Ability to lead, mentor and develop scientific talent at different levels
- Excellent communication and decision-making skills
- Ability to dive into technical details and discussions on active research programs
- Skilled in business relationship management with internal and external partners