Shape Therapeutics (ShapeTx) is a development stage biotechnology company establishing itself as the leader in next generation gene therapy. Our novel technology platform enables direct in vivo targeting of RNA by leveraging ADARs (Adenosine Deaminase Acting on RNA), suppressor tRNAs, and the capability to redose with adeno-associated viruses (AAVs).
ShapeTx is providing solutions to many of the challenges that contemporary genome engineering technologies face (like CRISPR, TALENs, etc.), such as permanent off-target damage, high risk of immunogenicity and therefore low in vivo applicability as effective gene therapy approaches. ShapeTx’s technology instead engages natural human cellular machinery to target RNA with high in vivo efficiency.
At ShapeTx, we are a dynamic team of professionals who are dedicated and passionate about making cures a reality. Through diversity of thought, scientific knowledge, professional rigor and focus we are merging cutting-edge science with extensive drug development expertise to unlock cures to many debilitating diseases.
Shape Therapeutics is headquartered in Seattle, Washington with satellite sites in Cambridge, Massachusetts and San Francisco, California.
ShapeTx is looking for a highly motivated virologist to join the Research team as Scientist, AAV Viral Vectors. In this position, the successful candidate will play a critical role in developing and optimizing ShapeTx’s AAV Research platform. This role will also include close collaboration with the CMC group to ensure smooth Discovery-to-Development transitions for lead product candidates. The ideal candidate will have deep AAV expertise, a collaborative spirit and a desire to work in a fast-paced startup environment.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Establish small-scale AAV production, purification and analysis to enable Research screening platforms
- Contribute to novel AAV capsid design and screening
- Evaluate novel AAV capsids (tropism, biodistribution, production, etc.)
- Partner with disease biology leads to design and execute a delivery strategy
- Optimize viral vector molecular designs for efficient delivery of ShapeTx’s RNA-targeted therapies
- Partner with CMC to support the Discovery-to-Development transition for lead candidates
- Serve as a subject matter expert on AAV vectors and technologies
- Keep organized and detailed records using an electronic laboratory notebook
- PhD in virology, molecular biology or related field
- 0-3+ years of post-doctoral research and/or biotech research experience
- Demonstrated track record of success in the AAV field, evidenced by high impact peer-reviewed publications and/or patents
Skills and Experience:
- Deep expertise in AAV biology (e.g. capsid design, vector optimization, production, etc.)
- Hands-on experience in small-scale AAV production, purification and analysis
- Experience designing and optimizing AAV viral vectors for therapeutic application
- Possess a high degree of energy, flexibility, motivation and a strong work ethic
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team-science environment
- Ability to think outside the box and tackle challenges with a problem-solving attitude
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills