Shape Therapeutics (ShapeTx) is a development stage biotechnology company establishing itself as the leader in next generation gene therapy. Our novel technology platform enables direct in vivo targeting of RNA by leveraging ADARs (Adenosine Deaminase Acting on RNA), suppressor tRNAs, and the capability to redose with adeno-associated viruses (AAVs).
ShapeTx is providing solutions to many of the challenges that contemporary genome engineering technologies face (like CRISPR, TALENs, etc.), such as permanent off-target damage, high risk of immunogenicity and therefore low in vivo applicability as effective gene therapy approaches. ShapeTx’s technology instead engages natural human cellular machinery to target RNA with high in vivo efficiency.
At ShapeTx, we are a dynamic team of professionals who are dedicated and passionate about making cures a reality. Through diversity of thought, scientific knowledge, professional rigor and focus we are merging cutting-edge science with extensive drug development expertise to unlock cures to many debilitating diseases.
Shape Therapeutics is headquartered in Seattle, Washington with satellite sites in San Diego and San Francisco, California.
The Disease Biology Team is seeking an experienced, highly motivated individual for the role of Sr. Scientist/ Scientist, Neurobiology. In this position, you will design and execute in vitro cell-based assays to evaluate ShapeTx’s novel RNAfixTM technology platform. Candidates should have expertise in neurobiology with a specific focus in advanced cell and tissue culture experimental systems. Independent thinking and crisp communication skills are essential. Rigorous science is a must. This position will directly contribute to the design and selection of lead therapeutic candidates for clinical development.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement protocols for culturing a variety of cell/tissue types (e.g. neurons, iPSCs, etc.)
- Design and lead the execution of well-controlled in vitro experiments to evaluate candidate RNAfixTM therapeutics
- Establish medium-to-high throughput candidate screening assays
- Contribute to in vitro pharmacology data packages and report writing to support IND applications
- Keep organized and detailed records using an electronic laboratory notebook
- Actively participate on cross-functional project teams
- Mentor junior laboratory scientists
- PhD in molecular and cellular biology, neurobiology or related discipline.
- Demonstrated expertise and scientific rigor through peer-reviewed publications in top tier journals
Skills and Experience:
- Advanced cell and tissue culture for use in experimental systems
- Advanced molecular and cell biology techniques
- Experience with cellular imaging
- High throughput assay design and analysis
- Transcriptomic analysis techniques
- Biochemical techniques for RNA and protein analysis
- Gene engineering tools and technologies (CRISPR/Cas9, ZFNs, etc.) and gene delivery (AAV vectors, etc.)
- Familiarity with rare disease research, neurodegeneration and genetic models of disease
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team-science environment
- Ability to think outside the box and tackle challenges with a problem-solving, can-do attitude