At SF Motors, we're forging a new kind of mobility company by combining the DNA of advanced automotive engineering and design with that of state of the art smart technologies and connectivity to revolutionize the future of premium electric vehicles. From our corporate headquarters in Silicon Valley we're bringing the best and brightest together with a common goal of creating the next generation of smart, clean, connected vehicles for you.
Our vision is to deliver premium electric vehicles that enhance the daily lives of our users, allowing them to live more connected, productive lives through the integration of clean technology and advanced hardware and software. The future of mobility is more than getting from A to B, it's about keeping connected to provide users customizable features, when they want it.
As Engineer, Materials, you will be responsible for automotive material selection support. Range of materials includes mild, deep draw quality, HSS, UHSS, AHSS and PHS steel grades, 5000 and 6000 series aluminum, plastics, carbon fiber, glass fiber, adhesive. Develop and maintain global material and performance specifications, evaluate and approve supplier products to these specifications. Assist with the overall body material strategy and resolving the challenges of dissimilar material joining to ensure quality and performance targets are satisfied.
Duties and responsibilities
- Support the design and development of automotive components and production release of body, interior, chassis, body exterior parts. Must have extensive materials knowledge in typical automotive steel grades, aluminum grades, magnesium, resins, elastomers, coatings, plating, foams and adhesives.
- Develop and maintain material and performance specifications, strategies and design rules.
- Manage the testing of key materials to support virtual assessments (CAE) and manage a materials database related to assigned components, material specifications and strategies.
- Collaborate with key material suppliers and support overall vehicle development milestones and prototype/production build events.
- Responsible for technical documentation to include DFMEAs, DVP&Rs.
- Investigate the capability of material suppliers and regional variation.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical or Material Engineering
- Experience with and thorough understanding of the following aluminum grades; 5XXX, 6XXX and 7XXX as used in automotive BIW applications
- Understanding of steel & aluminum suppliers both US and global
- Understanding of typical plastics used in BIW exterior applications – reinforced (SMC / FRP), thermoplastics. Adhesives / sealers / LASD etc.
- Experience with supporting testing and product development from a material perspective.
- Must be self-motivated.
- Knowledge of Design for Manufacturing, including familiarity with GD&T and dimensional engineering.
- Experience with technical documentation.
- Demonstrated an ability to manage difficult projects with tight timing constraints and provide examples of such scenarios throughout career.