At SF Motors, we’re forging a new kind of mobility company by combining the DNA of advanced automotive engineering and design with that of state of the art smart technologies and connectivity to revolutionize the future of premium electric vehicles. From our corporate headquarters in Silicon Valley we’re bringing the best and brightest together with a common goal of creating the next generation of smart, clean, connected vehicles for you.
Our vision is to deliver premium electric vehicles that enhance the daily lives of our users, allowing them to live more connected, productive lives through the integration of clean technology and advanced hardware and software. The future of mobility is more than getting from A to B, it’s about keeping connected to provide users customizable features, when they want it.
Evaluate materials and fasteners for product development and manufacturing, participate in the selection of materials and fasteners, and/or support selection of materials based on requirements and performance specifications of the automotive interior parts. Provide materials engineering support to manufacturing facilities and new product development projects.
Duties and responsibilities
- Provide material and fastener expertise in the selection of automotive materials during vehicle product development programs.
- Consult with producers of materials such as metals and polymers during investigation and evaluation of materials.
- Initiate and execute material improvements through material selection.
- Review product failure data to rule out or establish material and process root cause. Define material engineering requirements and create test plan.
- Work with test facilities to define test methods and review material test results of evaluations
- Develop, write and publish fastener design and installation specifications.
- Provide consultation to design engineering on proper fastener selection considering assembly performance requirements, corrosion, and manufacturing.
- Perform detailed analysis of fastened joints (e.g. torque vs. clamp load).
- Establish test requirements necessary to validate fasteners and specific joints
- Support Purchasing Activities and PPAP.
- Assist suppliers in understanding material technical specifications
- Support customers for all Material Approvals and issues.
- Work cooperatively in a team environment to execute the technical elements of a project.
- Enable quality completion of all project deliverables.
- Apply engineering practices/principles and use of computer aided design tools
- Apply problem solving techniques and adherence to procedures.
- Attend program design reviews and develop DVP&R plans based on the design requirements to keep performance and meet the customer’s expectations.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Materials Science or Engineering or related field required.
Minimum 5 years of relevant automotive material engineering experience required.
Full proficiency in engineering processes.
- Able to perform material data analysis, best practices and hand calculations accurately.
- Must be able to multi task and provide leadership through problem resolution.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including strong leadership ability are required.
- Understanding of basic engineering calculations, cost analysis, and an understanding of basic accounting.
- Must have strong organizational, planning, and people skills.
- Active listener with effective communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment to support demanding automotive customer requirements.
- Ability to compile effective and concise visual reports and graphs.
- Ability to perform responsibilities with minimal supervision.