At SF Motors, we’re forging a new kind of mobility company by combining the DNA of advanced automotive engineering and design with that of state of the art smart technologies and connectivity to revolutionize the future of premium electric vehicles. From our corporate headquarters in Silicon Valley we’re bringing the best and brightest together with a common goal of creating the next generation of smart, clean, connected vehicles for you.
Our vision is to deliver premium electric vehicles that enhance the daily lives of our users, allowing them to live more connected, productive lives through the integration of clean technology and advanced hardware and software. The future of mobility is more than getting from A to B, it’s about keeping connected to provide users customizable features, when they want it.
Your role as a Lead Engineer – HVAC and Interior Comfort is critical to the development and manufacturing of state-of-the-art EVs. You will be responsible for supporting the design and modeling of thermal systems to assure thermal management system efficiency regarding functional quality, cost and durability/reliability in alignment with all vehicle level thermal architecture targets.
- Design and evaluate several thermal systems architectures for different vehicle platforms in regards to the HVAC system.
- Develop innovative solutions for the HVAC system to support energy efficiency improvements on system as well as vehicle level, especially for our EV architecture environment, develop system concepts and perform trade-off analysis.
- Work internally to define system level requirements, collaborate with all related functional system stakeholders as well as vehicle integration, testing and purchasing.
- Perform CAE thermal analysis (Comsol, Ansys or equivalent) to demonstrate the effectiveness and efficiency of different cooling/heating strategies for both normal operation and thermal propagation.
- Support integration of component level thermal system controller with vehicle control unit.
- Run drive tests with thermal system controller to gather all relevant systems and vehicle thermal data.
- Identify issues with thermal management system controller and provide sufficient solutions to management for consideration.
- Build and manage a strong business relationship with suppliers.
- Provide and support the generation of all development related quality documentations (D)FMEA, 8D, PPAP, APQP, etc.)
- Working with required development process toolkits (PLM or PDM)
- Lead test plan development, issue resolution, and lab and in-vehicle testing of HVAC system units.
- Up to 20% domestic and international travel may be expected for this position.
Required Education and Experience
- BS/MS/PhD degree in ME, automotive or thermal or a related field.
- Extensive experience with various modes of heat transfer and thermal management materials and techniques, preferably in automotive applications.
- Knowledge in HVAC and automotive thermal management components and subsystems.
- Proficiency in CAD/CAE software tools, especially thermal CFD and FEA tools (e.g., Comsol, ANSYS, CD-adapco).
- Proficiency in thermal measurement and design validation tools and techniques.
- Knowledge in environmental, reliability, and safety requirements for automotive application.
- Proven track record of project management and product development.
- Driven to complete project goals on time and deliver quality results; process and detail oriented.
- Clearly understands technical issues and can justify technical decisions using data and analysis.
- Creative thinking and high level analytical ability.
- Working experience with OEM program design process and timing, including milestone gateways
- Strong communication skills (verbal, written and presentation) and ability to discuss technical issues with wide range of audiences
- Present to various levels of management with different depth of expertise
- Articulate specifics on product details, describe development proposals and problem descriptions
- Work with Microsoft Office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, etc.)
- Enjoys building a strong team and designing high-quality products.
- Enjoys working in fast pace & diverse work environment, and values candid communication.
- 5+ years of R&D experience in thermal science and engineering.
- 3+ years of development experience in automotive industry.
Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States and verification of employment authorization will be required at the time of hire.
SF Motors is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or protected veteran status.