At SF Motors, we're forging a new kind of mobility company by combining the DNA of advanced automotive engineering and design with that of state of the art smart technologies and connectivity to revolutionize the future of premium electric vehicles. From our corporate headquarters in Silicon Valley we're bringing the best and brightest together with a common goal of creating the next generation of smart, clean, connected vehicles for you.
Our vision is to deliver premium electric vehicles that enhance the daily lives of our users, allowing them to live more connected, productive lives through the integration of clean technology and advanced hardware and software. The future of mobility is more than getting from A to B, it's about keeping connected to provide users customizable features, when they want it.
As the Body Closure Manager in SFEV’s Body Team, you will be responsible for managing the design, release and launch of the complete Body Closure system for SFEV product lines. You will be part of the team that creates and executes world-class body engineering in terms of performance, mass and craftsmanship.
Duties and responsibilities
- Design of automotive Body Closure parts in CATIA V5 including all major panels, modules, hardware, sealing and glazing components.
- Develop and execute Body Closure requirements for all of the Body Closure commodities; side doors, hood and liftgate / trunklid.
- Participate in the iterative process with the SFEV design/styling studio to deliver the optimal balance of form vs. function vs. cost
- Implement processes and material selections to achieve world class execution of automotive Body Closure craftsmanship and fit & finish.
- Optimize designs with the appropriate analytical and physical assessments.
- Complete and release Body Closure components, sub-system and detail designs, utilizing a mix of in-house design and supplier engineering where required (in-house designs are planned for most major commodities).
- Utilize DFSS methodologies as appropriate during the design, validation and launch of the program
- Interpret CAE simulation results and integrate recommendations into product design.
- Collaborate with key exterior system and plastic component suppliers and support overall vehicle development milestones and prototype/production build events.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams within the SFEV Vehicle Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering and Procurement groups to ensure exterior system manufacturing and assembly feasibility and serviceability.
- Responsible for technical documentation to include DFMEAs, DVP&R’s.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering with a minimum of 10 years of experience in automotive Body Closure component and subsystem engineering, demonstrating technical aptitude from concept through release and launch for production and 3D modeling proficiency in CATIA V5 or the equivalent in experience and evidence of exceptional ability
- Must understand the fundamental differences in design and engineering of premium door systems - and have examples or a portfolio of completed programs.
- Must have in-depth technical expertise with the latest manufacturing technologies for sheet metal stamping (aluminum), extrusions and castings and the joining of such parts.
- Proficiency in 3D modeling utilizing CATIA V5 and typical PLM systems within an automotive product development environment.
- Thorough understanding of FMVSS and 3rd party crash testing requirements including pedestrian protection and other structural performance requirements of vehicle closure systems.
- Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering
- Must be self-motivated.
- Strong working knowledge of Design for Manufacturing, including familiarity with GD&T and dimensional engineering.
- Experience with technical documentation in at least 1 full lifecycle vehicle programs to include DVP&R and DFMEA.
- Utilize DFSS methodologies as appropriate during the design, validation and launch of the programs.
- Demonstrated an ability to manage difficult projects with tight timing constraints and provide examples of such scenarios throughout career.
Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States and verification of identity and employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire.
SF Motors is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or protected veteran status.