At SF Motors, we're forging a new kind of mobility company by combining the DNA of advanced automotive engineering and design with that of state of the art smart technologies and connectivity to revolutionize the future of premium electric vehicles. From our corporate headquarters in Silicon Valley we're bringing the best and brightest together with a common goal of creating the next generation of smart, clean, connected vehicles for you.
Our vision is to deliver premium electric vehicles that enhance the daily lives of our users, allowing them to live more connected, productive lives through the integration of clean technology and advanced hardware and software. The future of mobility is more than getting from A to B, it's about keeping connected to provide users customizable features, when they want it.
As Engineer, Body – Materials, you will be responsible for automotive OEM body material selection support. Range of materials includes mild, deep draw quality, HSS, UHSS, AHSS and PHS steel grades, 5000 and 6000 series aluminum, plastics, adhesives and glass. Develop and maintain global material and performance specifications, evaluate and approve supplier products to these specifications. Assist with the overall body material strategy and resolving the challenges of dissimilar material joining to ensure quality and performance targets are satisfied.
Duties and responsibilities
- Support the design and development of automotive components and production release of BIW, closures and body exterior parts. Must have extensive materials knowledge in typical automotive steel grades, aluminum grades, magnesium, resins, elastomers, coatings, plating, foams and adhesives.
- Develop and maintain material and performance specifications, strategies and design rules.
- Manage the testing of key materials to support virtual assessments (CAE) and manage a materials database related to assigned body components, material specifications and strategies.
- Collaborate with key material suppliers and support overall vehicle development milestones and prototype/production build events.
- Responsible for technical documentation to include DFMEAs, DVP&Rs.
- Investigate the capability of material suppliers and regional variation.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering with a minimum of 5 years of experience in automotive body materials and supporting production applications
- Experience with and thorough understanding of the following aluminum grades; 5XXX, 6XXX and 7XXX as used in automotive BIW applications
- Understanding of steel & aluminum suppliers both US and global
- Experience with typical aluminum forming for HPDC, extrusions and stampings. Recycling / corrosion / tempering / joining methods.
- Understanding of typical plastics used in BIW exterior applications – reinforced (SMC / FRP), thermoplastics. Adhesives / sealers / LASD etc.
- Experience with supporting testing and product development from a material perspective.
- Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering
- Must be self-motivated.
- Strong working knowledge of Design for Manufacturing, including familiarity with GD&T and dimensional engineering.
- Experience with technical documentation in at least 1 full lifecycle vehicle programs to include DVP&R and DFMEA.
- Utilize DFSS methodologies as appropriate during the design, validation and launch of the programs.
- Demonstrated an ability to manage difficult projects with tight timing constraints and provide examples of such scenarios throughout career.