At SF Motors, we're forging a new kind of mobility company by combining the DNA of advanced automotive engineering and design with that of state of the art smart technologies and connectivity to revolutionize the future of premium electric vehicles. From our corporate headquarters in Silicon Valley we're bringing the best and brightest together with a common goal of creating the next generation of smart, clean, connected vehicles for you.
Our vision is to deliver premium electric vehicles that enhance the daily lives of our users, allowing them to live more connected, productive lives through the integration of clean technology and advanced hardware and software. The future of mobility is more than getting from A to B, it's about keeping connected to provide users customizable features, when they want it.
The BIW Engineer will be responsible for design, development and engineering activities for the underbody system/assembly (front, mid, rear and complete) and components on new and/or current vehicle programs. The BIW Engineer will ensure compliance of the design with all BIW and vehicle attributes, technical and structural requirements, quality objectives, program milestones, deliverables and specific targets (cost, weight, timing, etc.). The BIW Engineer will develop unique and highly advanced engineering concepts and designs, leading innovation and advanced technologies for the BIW - underbody sub-assembly and components. The BIW Engineer will fully support implementation in production and interfaces, cooperation and integration with BIW, Closures and Body colleagues as well as with other vehicle groups.
Duties and responsibilities
- Responsible for leading the design and development activities for Body-in-White systems and components.
- Ensuring compliance with all technical requirements, quality objectives, program milestones, deliverables and cost targets.
- Interpret and understand CAE results (Fatigue, Safety and Formability) and provide improvement solutions.
- Interface with cross functional teams and suppliers
- Provide feedback to engineers on design
Required Education and Experience
- Minimum of a Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical, or Aerospace/Aeronautical, or Manufacturing Engineering from an accredited university
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in design, development, release and implementation in production of automotive body systems with a strong background in: BIW design and engineering, BIW structures, CAE and applications, specific BIW components fabrication processes, testing and compliance, and BIW manufacturing and assembly
- Specific knowledge with sheet metal forming, stamping, extrusions, castings, joining, body shop operations, product launch and BIW assembly and production
- Experience with various BIW materials with emphasis on light-weight materials: aluminum, magnesium, composite, ultra-high-strength steel, carbon fibers, etc.
- Experienced with typical (Aluminum) BIW joining processes: SPR, FDS, adhesive bonding, welding, bolting, etc.
- Experience and knowledgeable of CAD systems (fully proficient in CATIA V5) and design documentation systems (PLM, PDM, BOM’s, releases, etc.)
- Experienced and efficient in interfaces and activities with the Manufacturing/Production department
- Able and willing to travel domestically and/or internationally
- Able and willing to travel and support production launch
- Strong work ethic
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Highly motivated
- Positive energy and attitude
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Flexible, ability to work in a fast pace constantly changing environment with tight deadlines
Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States and verification of identity and employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire.
SF Motors is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or protected veteran status.