At SF Motors, we're forging a new kind of mobility company by combining the DNA of advanced automotive engineering and design with that of state of the art smart technologies and connectivity to revolutionize the future of premium electric vehicles. From our corporate headquarters in Silicon Valley we're bringing the best and brightest together with a common goal of creating the next generation of smart, clean, connected vehicles for you.
Our vision is to deliver premium electric vehicles that enhance the daily lives of our users, allowing them to live more connected, productive lives through the integration of clean technology and advanced hardware and software. The future of mobility is more than getting from A to B, it's about keeping connected to provide users customizable features, when they want it.
SF Motors has three R&D centers:
- Electric Powertrain & Intelligent Driving R&D Center based in Santa Clara, CA with a R&D office in Beijing, China
- Product Development R&D Center - North America based in Ann Arbor, MI
- Product Development R&D Center - Asia-Pacific based in Chongqing, China
As a Battery Mechanical Design Engineer, you will be part of a cross-functional development team with direct responsibility for electro-mechanical design.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage component level Battery cell design requirements through cross functional collaboration with Battery System and Vehicle Requirement.
- Develop detailed design concepts in 3D CAD (i.e. CATIA V5), complete design cycles from concepts to fully validated production designs.
- Develop testing methods for characterizing and improving battery cell materials including mechanical and electrochemical testing.
- Optimize designs via analytical, numerical and/or empirical assessments.
- In collaboration with the process engineering and materials development teams, troubleshoot for improved performance, product conformance, and design for manufacturability.
- Collaborate closely with suppliers to develop parts.
- Prepare and maintain product documentation, such as product specifications, BOM’s, and DFMEA’s.
- Up to 20% domestic and international travel may be expected for this position.
Required Education and Experience
- MS or PHD in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering or a related field.
- 3+ years mechanical engineering experience in Li-ion battery industry, including direct experience in design and characterization of battery cells.
- Demonstrated successful experience in mechanical engineering from concept through production release.
- Proficient in CAD modeling, CATIA v5 experience a plus.
- Experience with various manufacturing processes such as plastic injection molding, metal stamping, thermoforming, welding/brazing, plating, heat treating, bonding, and direct machine shop skills a plus.
- Test experience, including knowledge of sensors, data collection and data analysis.