At SF Motors, we're forging a new kind of mobility company by combining the DNA of advanced automotive engineering and design with that of state of the art smart technologies and connectivity to revolutionize the future of premium electric vehicles. From our corporate headquarters in Silicon Valley we're bringing the best and brightest together with a common goal of creating the next generation of smart, clean, connected vehicles for you.
Our vision is to deliver premium electric vehicles that enhance the daily lives of our users, allowing them to live more connected, productive lives through the integration of clean technology and advanced hardware and software. The future of mobility is more than getting from A to B, it's about keeping connected to provide users customizable features, when they want it.
Perform analytical characterization for lithium-ion batteries to support enhanced battery development goals. Design and carry out experiments to study factors that influence the performance of battery cell components. Develop state-of-the-art lithium-ion battery algorithms and data analysis pipeline to optimize the lifetime and performance of current and next-generation batteries.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Organize and carry out physical characterization and battery failure analysis work to support battery development
- Acquire and interpret analytical and cell test data using materials characterization and electrochemical techniques
- Perform tear downs and prepare reports
- Prepare and maintain procedures, validate methods and equipment, develop and implement protocols and failure replication testing
- Develop electrochemical models to simulate capacity degradation (SOH) of Li-ion battery
- Develop simplified control models to simulate behavior of Li-ion battery, including SOC, SOE, SOP, etc
- Enhance battery management system algorithms including estimation, charging strategies, battery balance
- Work with firmware engineers to implement algorithms in battery management system
- Train, guide and define tasks for technicians to facilitate work at high-standards
- Up to 20% domestic and international travel may be expected for this position.
Required Education and Experience
- MS or higher degree in Chemical, Material, Mechanical, Electrical Engineering or Electrochemistry 3+ years of experience in battery research
- Hands-on experience in performing careful cell tear downs and battery cell disassembly
- Expert level of knowledge and preferably hands-on experience in multiple characterization techniques including X-ray computed tomography, XRD, cross-sectional analyses (microtoming, FIB), IR, white light interferometry, SEM/EDS, XPS, Raman, NMR as well as thermo-mechanical characterization of polymer, metal, liquid and ceramic films
- Expertise in failure modes in Li battery cells, and techniques to determine/analyze them
- Familiar with statistical analysis of failure rates and times (risk analysis)
- Expertise in scripting tools (Python, MATLAB, etc) for statistical data analysis, simulations, modeling and machine learning
- Highly understanding of electrochemical characterization e.g. AC impedance, SOH analysis, charge acceptance, cycle life etc.
- Knowledge of database management systems (AWS, HBase, etc) for setting up and maintaining data analysis pipeline
- Strong verbal and written communication, teamwork and project management skills
- Attention to details, ability to work well individually and in team settings
Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States and verification of employment authorization will be required at the time of hire.
SF Motors is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or protected veteran status.