At SF Motors, we’re forging a new kind of mobility company by combining the DNA of advanced automotive engineering and design with that of state of the art smart technologies and connectivity to revolutionize the future of premium electric vehicles. From our corporate headquarters in Silicon Valley we’re bringing the best and brightest together with a common goal of creating the next generation of smart, clean, connected vehicles for you.
Our vision is to deliver premium electric vehicles that enhance the daily lives of our users, allowing them to live more connected, productive lives through the integration of clean technology and advanced hardware and software. The future of mobility is more than getting from A to B, it’s about keeping connected to provide users customizable features, when they want it.
As a motor system engineer at SF Motors, you will contribute in several key aspects of electric powertrain development. You are expected to have relevant experience and hence able to design and analyze advanced traction motor systems for EV application. The scope may include electric machine design optimization, advanced motor manufacturing process development, motor controller development, as well as vehicle level system modeling and optimization.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Specification, design and analysis of advanced traction motors and controllers for specific vehicle performance targets.
- Through accurate modeling and simulation, perform sizing and tradeoff study of energy storage system, gear box, motor system, thermal management system and other vehicle subsystems.
- Perform motor electromagnetic and thermal design optimization.
- Perform motor control hardware and control algorithm design and simulation.
- Perform characterization, tuning and calibration of motor system performance on dyno.
- Develop testing plans to validate motor electromagnetic and thermal designs including performance and durability.
- Work with mechanical engineers to create motor design drawings and release to manufacturing.
- Support structural and mechanical analysis of motor systems including NVH and durability.
- Support motor manufacturing development including material selection and process evaluation.
- Support powertrain system integration and vehicle control integration.
- Up to 20% domestic and international travel may be expected for this position.
Required Education and Experience
- Prefer PhD in EE, or ME or 5 years related experience
- Knowledgeable in electric vehicle architecture and modeling process.
- Extensive experience in power electronics hardware and motor control algorithms.
- Hands-on experience in motor control implementation in DSP.
- Hands-on programming and development experience in MATLAB/Simulink, C/C++, Python.
- Expert level skills with electromagnetic analysis tools such as ANSYS, JMAG, FLUX, Infolytica.
- Solid understanding of various types of electric machines and their dynamic modeling.
- Experience in the design and analysis of high power density permanent-magnet motors and induction motors.
- Knowledgeable in state-of-the-art manufacturing methods of electric machines.
- Flexibility and adaptability in a fast paced and dynamic work environment.
- 3+ years of experiences in electric machine modeling, design, analysis and control.
Candidates for positions with SF Motors must be legally authorized to work in the United States on a permanent basis. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position; TN visa holders may be considered.
SF Motors is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or protected veteran status.