At SF Motors, we’re forging a new kind of mobility company by combining the DNA of advanced automotive engineering and design with that of state of the art smart technologies and connectivity to revolutionize the future of premium electric vehicles. From our corporate headquarters in Silicon Valley we’re bringing the best and brightest together with a common goal of creating the next generation of smart, clean, connected vehicles for you.
Our vision is to deliver premium electric vehicles that enhance the daily lives of our users, allowing them to live more connected, productive lives through the integration of clean technology and advanced hardware and software. The future of mobility is more than getting from A to B, it’s about keeping connected to provide users customizable features, when they want it.
As the technical and team leader of drivetrain team with SF Motors, you will provide technical direction and leadership to the team and other stakeholders for powertrain engineering and development. The candidate will have overall technical responsibility in many areas of powertrain engineering and manufacturing include drivetrain hardware and software, traction motors, gear box units, and powertrain thermal, mechanical and electrical interface to SF Motors electric vehicles planned for mass production.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead and mange a team of mechanical, electrical and thermal engineers and system engineers.
- Lead the development of advanced drivetrains and their high-volume manufacturing processes.
- Define the architecture of drivetrain system with vehicle engineering team, power electronics team, control firmware team and battery team.
- Define requirements and mechanical interface for traction motors, inverters and gear boxes.
- Develop and define the drivetrain thermal system and its interface to vehicle HVAC system.
- Develop requirements and specifications for high performance traction motors and gear boxes.
- Manage and perform electromagnetic design and mechanical design of traction motors.
- Manage the design and analysis of traction motors and gear boxes and other drivetrain parts.
- Collaborate with the manufacturing team to develop highly automated production processes.
- Build and manage a strong business relationship with suppliers.
- Lead test plan development, issue resolution, and lab and in-vehicle testing of drivetrain units.
- Up to 20% domestic and international travel may be expected for this position.
Required Education and Experience
- BS, MS or PhD in EE, CE, ME, automotive, thermal or a related field.
- Proven track record of engineering management and project management.
- Extensive experience designing and developing drivetrain system and components.
- Extensive experience with Mechanical drivetrain design, implementation and validation in automotive application.
- Prefer to be knowledgeable in CAD/CAE software such as ANSYS, CATIA V5, SolidWorks.
- Experience with power electronics systems, electric motors, gears and transmissions.
- Deep understanding of system level thermal, high voltage integration, efficiency optimization.
- Knowledge in environmental, reliability, and safety requirements for automotive application.
- Creative thinking and high level analytical ability.
- Enjoys building a strong team and designing high-quality products.
- Enjoys working in fast pace & diverse work environment, and values candid communication.
- 10+ years of R&D experience in automotive industry.
- 5+ years of drivetrain system development experience in automotive industry.
Candidates for positions with SF Motors must be legally authorized to work in the United States on a permanent basis. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position; TN visa holders may be considered.
SF Motors is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or protected veteran status.