At SF Motors, we’re forging a new kind of mobility company by combining the DNA of advanced automotive engineering and design with that of state of the art smart technologies and connectivity to revolutionize the future of premium electric vehicles. From our corporate headquarters in Silicon Valley we’re bringing the best and brightest together with a common goal of creating the next generation of smart, clean, connected vehicles for you.
Our vision is to deliver premium electric vehicles that enhance the daily lives of our users, allowing them to live more connected, productive lives through the integration of clean technology and advanced hardware and software. The future of mobility is more than getting from A to B, it’s about keeping connected to provide users customizable features, when they want it.
As a Staff Mechanical Engineer in Power Electronics with SF Motors, you will be responsible for design and development of power converters and HV components. This role will lead all aspects of power electronics component mechanical design and development, including CAD, CAE, thermal, safety and structural. You will work on architecture, design, development, and testing of power electronics hardware.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Design and optimize heatsinks and thermal control solutions given target mass/volume/cost.
- Design and optimize power converter housing, internal assemblies, bus bars and other structures and mechanical interfaces.
- Collaborate with other mechanical and electrical engineers to optimize tightly packed hardware.
- Conduct modeling and simulation analyses on electromechanical assemblies under various power load conditions.
- Take part in the requirement development for powertrain component and system.
- Collaborate with the manufacturing team to develop mass production processes.
- Build and manage a strong business relationship with suppliers.
- Lead test plan development, issue resolution, and lab and in-vehicle testing of power electronic systems.
- Up to 20% domestic and international travel may be expected for this position.
Required Education and Experience
- BS, MS or PhD in ME, automotive, thermal or a related field.
- Proficiency in simulation and analytical software such as MATLAB, ANSYS, Nastran, or other packaged FEA programs.
- Proficiency in CATIA V5 or similar such SolidWorks, Siemens NX, and Pro/E.
- Solid understanding of material properties, heat transfer, and fluid dynamics.
- Awareness of electronic components, circuit board design, mechanical assembly design, and manufacturing processes.
- Experience designing heatsinks and liquid-cooling systems.
- Knowledge of high-volume manufacturing processes and automation is highly desirable.
- Experience with full life-cycle of product development processes.
- Familiarity with industry standards such as IEC, ISO, GB.
- Flexibility and adaptability in a fast-paced and dynamic work environment.
- 3+ years of electric powertrain electronics development experience in automotive industry.
- 5+ years of related industry mechanical design experience.
Candidates for positions with SF Motors must be legally authorized to work in the United States on a permanent basis. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position; TN visa holders may be considered.
SF Motors is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or protected veteran status.