At SF Motors, we’re forging a new kind of mobility company by combining the DNA of advanced automotive engineering and design with that of state of the art smart technologies and connectivity to revolutionize the future of premium electric vehicles. From our corporate headquarters in Silicon Valley we’re bringing the best and brightest together with a common goal of creating the next generation of smart, clean, connected vehicles for you.
Our vision is to deliver premium electric vehicles that enhance the daily lives of our users, allowing them to live more connected, productive lives through the integration of clean technology and advanced hardware and software. The future of mobility is more than getting from A to B, it’s about keeping connected to provide users customizable features, when they want it.
As a technical leader of the battery system team at SF Motors, you will lead the design and development of state-of-the-art high production volume electric vehicle battery packs. You will be responsible for resolving technical, application and manufacturing challenges in the battery systems including electrical, control, software, mechanical, thermal, and system integration issues. You will work with other engineering teams on the development of powertrain thermal system, CAE and structural design, BMS and powertrain control, charging system and high voltage power distribution system. You will lead product requirement analysis, technical solution analysis, production feasibility study, system level architecture, design, and implementation.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead BMS architecture, design and perform trade-off analyses.
- Lead battery system structural, CAD/CAE and safety related work, including DFMEA.
- Lead battery system thermal design, HV bus bars and mechanical interface to vehicle.
- Lead the integration and design validation of battery system hardware and software.
- Define requirements for powertrain component level hardware and software.
- Collaborate with the manufacturing team to develop battery system mass production processes.
- Manage battery related product development cycles from design to manufacturing.
- Build and manage a strong business relationship with suppliers.
- Lead test plan development, issue resolution, and lab and in-vehicle testing of battery systems.
- Interface with senior management to provide and obtain information and to build consensus regarding technical solutions as well as project direction and execution.
- Collaborate with various internal and external teams to specify and review product requirements.
- Develop and integrate component level modeling into system level to achieve high fidelity simulation.
- Up to 20% domestic and international travel may be expected for this position.
Required Education and Experience
- BS, MS or PhD in EE, ME, CS, CE, Thermal or a related field.
- Experience in electric or hybrid vehicle development.
- Experience in the design and development of BMS hardware and software.
- Experience in high voltage electronic systems for automotive applications.
- Experience in battery pack interconnection design, thermal management, and safety.
- Experience in EMC/EMI design and validation testing. Functional safety experience is a plus.
- Familiarity with industry standards, such as IEC, ISO, GB.
- Experience in CAN bus communications and associated tools such as CANape.
- Familiarity with automotive ECUs, especially those in hybrid and electric powertrains. Experience with TI DSPs or NXP microcontrollers a plus.
- Experience with project management techniques as well as team development and mentoring.
- Enjoys building a strong team and designing high-quality products.
- Enjoys working in fast pace & diverse work environment, and values candid communication.
- 10+ years of R&D experience in automotive industry.
- 5+ years of battery system development experience in automotive industry.
Candidates for positions with SF Motors must be legally authorized to work in the United States on a permanent basis. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position; TN visa holders may be considered.
SF Motors is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or protected veteran status.