At SF Motors, we're forging a new kind of mobility company by combining the DNA of advanced automotive engineering and design with that of state of the art smart technologies and connectivity to revolutionize the future of premium electric vehicles. From our corporate headquarters in Silicon Valley we're bringing the best and brightest together with a common goal of creating the next generation of smart, clean, connected vehicles for you.
Our vision is to deliver premium electric vehicles that enhance the daily lives of our users, allowing them to live more connected, productive lives through the integration of clean technology and advanced hardware and software. The future of mobility is more than getting from A to B, it's about keeping connected to provide users customizable features, when they want it.
As a Director, Body Engineering, you will be responsible for design, development, and refinement of mechanical components and sub-systems of the body to meet quality and regulatory standards to understand customer needs. You will also collaborate with designers, research the latest technology, project management, development and design tools.
Duties and responsibilities
- Manage body exterior and interior components i.e. hard trim, door trim, trunk trim, IP, console, closures, seating, and others.
- Develop and execute component and subsystem design verification plans, test methods and implementing cutting edge material
- Ensure the integration of engineering resources with cross-functional teams to meet product goals for the unit’s product line of significantly complex scope.
- Define, develop, and sustain product strategy, objectives and roadmap
- Guide programs for the research and development of new technologies relating to mechanical engineering as appropriate, and ensure that newly created processes, designs, and/or methodologies are incorporated into applied materials, products/services, and/or disseminated to other areas as needed
- Lead your team to develop unique, innovative and advanced engineering concepts and system designs.
- Manage your teams project, mentor, inspire, and guide your team members.
- Build strong work relationship with suppliers
- Aid all team’s prioritization by creating/managing milestone and negotiating the workload and time lines with suppliers
Lead the body engineering team
up to 25% domestic and/or international travel
Required Education and Experience
- BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering
- Minimum 15 years of related experience, with a minimum of 7+ years managerial experience;
- Proven track record of effective team building and talent development or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Previous OEM experience required; automotive experience preferred;
- Previous assembly plant launch experience preferred;
- Dimensional Management required;
- Knowledge of various materials, alternative fixing and joining technologies and applying those into the designs as appropriate. DFM/DFA skills essential;
- Specific knowledge with plastics and composites molding, foaming, wrapped materials, extrusions, injection, attachments, assembly methodology, product launch, lightweight materials, metals and an understanding of class A surfaces.
- Specific knowledge with stamping, sheet metal work, attachments, assembly methodology, product launch, lightweight materials like aluminum or other metals and an understanding of class A surfaces
- Knowledge with Design for Six Sigma, DFMEA and PFMEA
- Passion for electric vehicles and energy efficiency
- Demonstrable motivation and ability to solve difficult design problems with tight timing constraints
- Flexibility and adaptability in a fast-paced and dynamic work environment
- Strong work ethics
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Highly motivated
- Positive energy and attitude
Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States and verification of identity and employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire.
SF Motors is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or protected veteran status.