At SF Motors, we’re forging a new kind of mobility company by combining the DNA of advanced automotive engineering and design with that of state of the art smart technologies and connectivity to revolutionize the future of premium electric vehicles. From our corporate headquarters in Silicon Valley, we’re bringing the best and brightest together with a common goal of creating the next generation of smart, clean, connected vehicles for you.
Our vision is to deliver premium electric vehicles that enhance the daily lives of our users, allowing them to live more connected, productive lives through the integration of clean technology and advanced hardware and software. The future of mobility is more than getting from A to B, it’s about keeping connected to provide users customizable features when they want it.
This position is focused on creating graphics assets, visualization and motion schemes, and user interface concepts and prototypes for the automotive cockpit. This includes the processes of research and planning, concept design, information design, user interface design, and prototype development. Suitable candidates will be able to:
1. Define aesthetic direction for user interfaces inside and outside of the vehicle supporting the brand DNA,
2. Set project goals, identify stakeholders, identify users, and conduct competitive system analyses;
3. Create feature lists, design use cases, and set functional requirements;
4. Define information architecture, create system diagrams, and illustrate screen navigation flows;
5. Create wireframes, UI layouts, and aesthetic definitions; and
6. Specify technology, prototype/demonstrate functionality, and develop testing methods for iterative improvement.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Responsible for the design of graphics assets and visualizations for UI concepts for the US-specific features of infotainment, instrument cluster, heads-up display, and smartphone apps that are meant to be used while driving, as well as car-related features that are meant to be used outside of the car.
• Apply design rules and follow driver distraction guidelines for the design of graphics, motions, and other considerations of in-vehicle user interfaces
• Responsible for industrial design of interface and control elements inside the vehicle, including steering wheel, infotainment controls, etc.
• Work together with functional owners, software developers, text translators, and testers towards the implementation of infotainment system features.
• Work together with other project stakeholders such as Design, Research, Marketing and Quality to establish project goals, direction and reach decisions.
• Stay up to date with local market news and trends in User Interface design, new technologies and features that could be used inside and outside the car (attend auto shows, network with internal and external project partners).
• Strive for the localization of the local product, by proposing new features as well as changes and improvements to existing features.
• Domestic travel for meeting partners, conferences, and participation in demonstration shows
• International travel for meeting project partners, workshops
Required Education and Experience
• Icon and Graphic Design
• Concept Sketching
• Physical Prototyping
• Model Making
• Technical Writing
UI design skills
• User-centered design
• Product ideation focused on solving driving-oriented problems
• User requirements analysis
• UI screen wireframes and screen layouts
• UI storyboards and screen flow charts
• Development of prototypes used for evaluating UI concepts
Knowledge of tools
• Unified Modeling Language for statecharts
• Interface design tools (Microsoft Visio, Balsamiq)
• Proficient with design tools like Adobe Suite, Aftereffects, Maya, Rhinoceros, 3-D Studio Max, UI Composer, Autodesk Sketchbook, Corel Draw,
• Experience with embedded graphics
• CAD expertise (i.e. CATIA, Solidworks, etc.)
• Analytical and conceptual thinking – using logic and reason, creative and strategic
• Communication skills – interpersonal, presentation and written
• Computer savvy – skilled in the use of software
• Integration – joining people, processes or systems
• Influencing and negotiation skills
• Resource management
• NHTSA AAM driver distraction guidelines
• Design for different platforms: infotainment, instrument cluster, mobile apps (iOS and Android)
• Understanding of graphics CPU load and systems capabilities
Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States and verification of employment authorization will be required at the time of hire.
SF Motors is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or protected veteran status.