Driver Monitoring Researcher
The Driver Monitoring researcher conducts user needs analysis, task flow analysis, interface design, usability testing and statistical data analysis. The individual in this position designs and user studies for the research and development of driver assistance technology for the automotive industry. This position is responsible for creating the framework for data collection and analysis, and for the definition of metrics for the evaluation o user performance on various tasks in an autonomous vehicle.
This position will have an important role in the design and definition of the processes and equipment for the research of driver and users’ activities and metrics in an autonomous vehicle.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Design user data acquisition experiments, for the analysis of human behavior and activities, in an autonomous vehicle.
- Develop software for detection and classification of driver activities to be used in autonomous driving vehicles level 3 and up for driver monitoring.
- Develop take over request strategy and software tools to detect human performance in control transition on autonomous vehicles.
- Design and lead user studies in human vehicle interactions, human reaction time measurement, and vehicle HMI design and evaluation.
- Design cognitive aids, such as procedural storyboards or decision support systems.
- Collect data through direct observation of work activities or witnessing the conduct of tests.
- Research new technologies and processes for human vehicle interactions.
- Provide human factors technical expertise on topics such as advanced user-interface technology development or the role of human users in automated or autonomous sub-systems in advanced vehicle systems.
- Investigate theoretical or conceptual issues, such as the human design considerations of self-driving vehicles.
- Estimate time or resource requirements for human factors research or development projects.
- Conduct interviews or surveys of users or customers to collect information on topics such as distraction, requirements, needs, fatigue and drowsiness, ergonomics, or interfaces.
- Prepare reports or presentations summarizing results or conclusions of human factors engineering or ergonomics activities
- Operate testing equipment, such as driving simulators, head and eye tracking hardware, heat stress meters, octave band analyzers, motion analysis equipment, inclinometers, light meters, velometers, etc.
- Develop or implement research methodologies or statistical analysis plans to test and evaluate prototypes such as cockpit designs, user workstations, or computerized human models.
- Advocate for end users in collaboration with other professionals including engineers, designers, managers, or customers.
- Plans and executes usability experiments and studies in a variety of user environments.
- Takes proper steps to understand client goals and strategies, using proven human factors methodologies and tools to recommend changes that will improve overall usability.
- Performs statistical analysis of behavioral and subjective user data, and develop guidelines for in-vehicle HMI design.
Competencies and Skills
- Proficient SW developer using tools for simulator studies, data collection, and analysis.
- Experience in machine learning and other large data set analysis techiques.
- Experience managing simulator environments and SW
- Proficiency in user study design and execution
- Proficiency in statistical analysis
- Experience in sample design and recruiting participants for user studies
- Excellent communication skills
- Problem solving/analysis
- Project management
- Deep knowledge of human reaction time measurement research and methodologies
- PhD in Computer Science, with a background in Human Factors, Human Machine Interaction, or related field
- 7+ years of relevant research experience, preferably in the automotive industry.
- Understanding of automotive human factors guidelines and ergonomics
- Expert level knowledge of quantitative, qualitative, and human factors research methodologies.
- Work independently and/or collaboratively as part of a team.
- Strong communication skills