300 Hour Service Term
May 7, 2021 - August 31, 2021
Note: This a two-step application process, please be sure to complete link at the end of the job description before hitting submit.
Reports to: Junior Giants Staff
Department: Giants Community Fund
Location: Various locations in CA (some positions remote due to COVID-19 restrictions)
Compensation: Bi-Weekly Stipend (total of $4,200) & Education Award (total of $1,311 after service completion)
Positions Available: 104 Ambassador Positions (300 hours), 12 Associate Positions (675 hours)
The Giants Community Fund , the 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization of the San Francisco Giants , is looking to hire Junior Giants AmeriCorps Ambassadors in select California locations for the 2021 season. AmeriCorps Ambassadors serve as liaisons between the Giants Community Fund and the local youth-serving agency in their designated communities and play a major role in the implementation of the Junior Giants program on the ground level. Junior Giants AmeriCorps Ambassadors work closely with both the Giants Community Fund Staff and the local league Commissioner to assist with league logistics, operations, communication, player recruitment and more. Please read the details below for more information.
- Junior Giants , the flagship program of the Giants Community Fund , is a free, noncompetitive baseball and softball program for over 23,000 underserved boys and girls ages 5-18 years old. Beyond teaching the fundamentals of the game, Junior Giants focuses on the Four Bases of Character Development - Confidence, Integrity, Leadership and Teamwork – and offers programs in Health, Education and Bullying Prevention. To learn more, click here.
Junior Giants At Home:
- In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Giants Community Fund converted the Junior Giants program into a virtual format called Junior Giants at Home - a live, video-based program that was developed to keep youth active and connected during these times of isolation. Continuing the mission of our traditional summer programming, teams gather on Zoom calls led by Junior Giants AmeriCorps Ambassadors to combine lessons about life skills with indoor-friendly exercises and instructional videos featuring Giants Manager Gabe Kapler and his coaching staff. To learn more about Junior Giants at Home, click here.
- AmeriCorps is a community service program that is funded by the government and participating community partners, designed to help communities meet the specified needs in their area by recruiting and training individuals who are willing to serve in selected community projects. Service programs strengthen communities, encourage responsibility, expand opportunities for education, provide service experience, and increase life skills. For more information on AmeriCorps, please visit www.americorps.gov . To learn more about the mission of Junior Giants AmeriCorps Members, click here.
Whether your Junior Giants league will be hosting in-person programming or only virtual programming, here are some of the responsibilities you can expect in this role:
- Serve as an online coach for (2) six-week Junior Giants at Home seasons
- Create original videos and downloadable activities for players (check out Junior Giants On Demand for examples)
- Display professional written and oral communication skills via email, Slack, Zoom, phone & social media
- Recruit participants via local news agencies, community programs, churches, youth programs, etc.
- Collect parent feedback at the end of each season via online survey distribution.
- Participate in various virtual events, trainings and meetings (i.e. weekly check in call, diversity, equity & inclusion
trainings, AmeriCorps National Service Day)
- Recap the service term with a formal End of Season Report
IN-PERSON RESPONSIBILITIES (APPLICABLE IN SOME LOCATIONS - MORE CONTEXT PROVIDED IN INTERVIEW)
If city and county health officials permit in-person play in your community, here are some additional responsibilities you can expect:
- Implement 8-week summer program with league Commissioner
- Attend all in person games & practices
- Distribute incentives/equipment/uniforms/program material
- Recruit, train & onboard volunteers
- Maintain SportsEngine organization
- Collect survey data
- Distribute tickets
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED
- Must be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident
- Clearance of a background check
- Strong communication skills (written & verbal)
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to interact with diverse populations and age groups
- Proficiency with Zoom and communicating in a virtual setting
- Strong organizational and leadership abilities
- Reliable transportation to league sites in targeted region
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred
- Must not have been released for cause from a previous AmeriCorps term of service
- Must have not served more than 3 previous AmeriCorps terms of service
- 25-35 hours per week, flexible schedule to serve May-August
- Selected applicants will be required to attend a virtual interview during the January-April hiring period
Benefits of Service
- AmeriCorps Ambassadors may be eligible for student loan forbearance on federal student loans.
- Ongoing training and professional development opportunities.
Individuals seeking service opportunities with the Giants Community Fund are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation. All are welcomed and encouraged to apply.
To apply, applicants must submit their resume/cover letter and complete the online application via the link below:
Deadline to Apply is January 19, 2021