300 Hour Service Term
May 15, 2020- August 15, 2020
Reports to: Junior Giants Staff
Department: Giants Community Fund
Location: Various locations in CA, NV, and OR
Compensation: Bi-weekly stipend
Junior Giants, the flagship program of the Giants Community Fund, is a free, noncompetitive and innovative baseball and softball program for over 23,000 underserved boys and girls ages 5-18 years old. Junior Giants focuses on the Four Bases of Character Development -- Confidence, Integrity, Leadership and Teamwork – and offers programs in Health, Education and Bullying Prevention.
AmeriCorps is a community service program that is funded by the government and participating community partners, designed to help communities meet the specified needs in their area by recruiting and training individuals who are willing to serve in selected community projects. Service programs strengthen communities, encourage responsibility, expand opportunities for education, provide service experience and increase life skills. For more information on AmeriCorps, please visit www.americorps.gov
AmeriCorps Ambassador Service Position Summary:
The Giants Community Fund, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, is looking for AmeriCorps Ambassadors to serve as liaisons between the Fund’s office in San Francisco and Junior Giants leagues located in targeted regions throughout Northern and Central California. AmeriCorps Ambassadors collaborate directly with their respective league organizer (Commissioner) to ensure a high quality program is being delivered to the community. AmeriCorps Ambassadors will be asked to serve with the local agencies that host Junior Giants to implement the program and support the day-to-day operations, including the introduction and implementation of the health, summer learning slide, and anti-bullying programs. Towards the end of the season, AmeriCorps Ambassadors will serve as research assistants to collect data from parents and coaches (surveys) and participants (interviews). Four Junior Giants staff members in our San Francisco office will manage and oversee AmeriCorps Ambassadors in their assigned regions. AmeriCorps Ambassadors are required to report on a weekly basis to each respective Coordinator/Manager. AmeriCorps Ambassadors are not employees of the Giants Community Fund, and will therefore not receive hourly compensation. To cover basic living necessities, AmeriCorps Ambassadors will receive a living allowance.
AmeriCorps Ambassador Locations
Junior Giants leagues are located throughout California (Northern/Central). AmeriCorps Ambassadors will be asked to choose 3 location preferences they are available to serve in when completing the online portion of the application.
Program Implementation- 80%
- Being present and available on game days to interact with participants and families, and ensure program quality.
- Distributing the Word of the Week packs and ensuring that coaches and team parents are reviewing the discussion questions and distributing rewards correctly.
- Delivering Junior Giants program information to increase the knowledge of program participants about healthy eating and physical activity.
- Introducing the “Round the Bases Reading” program, distributing materials to track reading progress, facilitating reading tracking with participants for recognition of minutes read and distributing a prize for reaching 720 minutes.
- Introducing and explaining bullying prevention to participants with the help of a video, organizing professional speakers to share the Strike Out Bullying message and leading participants in a pledge to respect teammates, coaches, parents and friends.
- Assisting with Sports Engine, the online registration system, to ensure all participants are registered and coaches and team parents have their completed background checks.
- Sending weekly newsletters and league information through Sports Engine to players and coaches/team parents.
- Assisting with ticket distribution to participants at the end of the season.
Data Collection- 10%
- Assisting with league wrap-up at the end of the season, including helping the Commissioner take inventory and ensuring that data in Sports Engine is accurate (number of players, attendance, etc.)
- Collecting data at the end of the season through parent surveys, coach/team parent surveys and participant interviews
- Keeping accurate attendance of participants throughout the season through attendance logs and Sports Engine
Supervision and Training- 10%
- Attending the AmeriCorps Ambassador Orientation in May
- Attending a Focus Group with other AmeriCorps Ambassadors
- Attending weekly calls/webinars with Regional Ambassadors
- Attending bi-weekly calls/webinar with Giants Community Fund staff
- Creating an end-of-season report as a summary of the assigned Junior Giants league and meeting in person with a Junior Giants Coordinator/Manager for an exit interview
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED
- College student obtaining a degree in recreation, sport management, child development or related majors preferred
- Must be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident
- Clearance of a background check
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal. Strong interpersonal skills required.
- Ability to interact with diverse populations and age groups
- Strong organizational and leadership abilities
- Reliable transportation to league sites in targeted region
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred
- Must not have been released for cause from a previous AmeriCorps term of service
- Must have not served more than 3 previous AmeriCorps terms of service
- 25-30 hours per week
- Must be available mid-May to mid-August with a flexible schedule to serve selected weekdays, but primarily weeknights and weekend days. Exact schedules and game times vary by league.
- Selected applicants will be required to attend an interview at Oracle Park in January/February/March.
Benefits of Service:
- AmeriCorps Ambassadors earn a bi-weekly living allowance.
- AmeriCorps Ambassadors can earn an education award of $1,311.11 after successfully completing their service term.
- AmeriCorps Ambassadors may be eligible for student loan forbearance on federal student loans.
- Ongoing training and professional development opportunities.
To apply, applicants must submit their resume/cover letter and complete the online application via the link below:
Deadline to Apply is January 20, 2020