Sezzle is a cutting-edge fintech company whose long-standing mission is to financially empower the next generation. Only one in three millennials own a credit card, and the vast majority of millennials possess a subprime credit score or no score at all. To address these problems, Sezzle has built a payment platform that increases purchasing power for consumers by offering interest-free installment plans at online stores. This increase in purchasing power for consumers leads to increased sales and basket sizes for the numerous eCommerce merchants that currently work with Sezzle.
As the first and only B-Corp in the payments space, Sezzle’s goal is to help everyone pursue financial freedom, and to invest in social good and ethical initiatives that shape a better world.
At Sezzle, we’re committed to putting purpose alongside profitability. We work hard to maintain rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency to build a better world. The employees at Sezzle lean into significant societal and cultural shifts, ensuring internal and external focus on positive impacts that benefit our community.
About The Role
Gain real-world legal experience and exposure to what it is like to work in an in-house legal department. The candidate will report to and work closely with our General Counsel, as well as collaborate with other employees to help define, create and edit legal documents and contracts to both protect Sezzle and help us move our business forward. The candidate will gain experience in areas such as legal research, general contract work, corporate governance, employment, securities and intellectual property.
This role will provide support by assisting with legal research and writing, developing investigative strategies, the collection, and the organization of documents.
This role is designed for a highly-motivated individual who is project-oriented and able to work independently with little guidance. A successful candidate will be able to work quickly under pressure and respond to multiple demands at once.
- Must be actively enrolled as a second or third year student at an accredited law school
- Perform legal research on a project by project basis to identify legal and compliance requirements for new product development.
- Review of contracts and all 3rd party NDA's.
- Organize and track all contracts in place.
- Assist in the resolution of any non-compliance issues in states and foreign countries.
- Experience writing and editing terms and conditions, contracts and NDA's, as needed.
- Providing litigation support, as assigned
- Other tasks as required
**This is a hybrid role that will require occasional travel to Headquarters located in Minneapolis, MN**
- Sezzle internships are up to 30 hours a week (no more). We want you to have an amazing internship experience and learn new things, but also enjoy student life!
- Pursuing a law degree and in second or third year.
- Located in the Minneapolis/St Paul area
Preferred Knowledge & Skills:
- Experience with legal research using primary and secondary sources
- Preferred GPA of 3.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Excellent writing and organizational skills.
- Ability to manage confidential information with discretion.
- Knowledge of and proficiency with a variety of computer software applications including Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Ability to be flexible and modify priorities as needed.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently with only general supervision.
- A+ character. We are team-first here at Sezzle.
- A hard-working mentality. It’s early and there is still a lot to build.
- An excellent communicator.
- A fun attitude. Life’s too short. We can have fun while we work hard on cool things.
- Smarts. We need people that are smart enough to make decisions on their own and also smart enough to know when they need input from others.
Perks & Benefits:
- Competitive pay
- Flexible remote work
- Sick + Safe Time Off
- Impactful and meaningful work projects
- The opportunity to join Minneapolis’s fastest growing startup alongside a team of motivated and driven individuals in the FinTech industry
What Makes Working at Sezzle Awesome?
At Sezzle, we are more than just brilliant engineers, passionate data enthusiasts, out-of-the-box thinkers, and determined innovators; we are skilled musicians, yogis, cyclists, chefs, golfers, dog-lovers, and rock-climbers. We believe in surrounding ourselves with not only the best and the brightest individuals, but those that are unique and purpose-driven in all that they do. Our culture is not defined by a certain set of perks designed to give the illusion of the traditional startup culture, but rather, it is the visible example living in every employee that we hire.