From neighborhood restaurants to international, multi-concept hospitality groups, SevenRooms empowers operators to create and cultivate a direct relationship with guests to enable exceptional experiences. By leveraging data from dozens of external and internal sources with our proprietary algorithms, our software enables hospitality operators to understand their customers, market to them and efficiently provide world-class experiences.
As the business grows post-series A, we are are looking for top-tier, mid-to-senior level, “T-Shaped” engineers. Our team consists of a mixture of proven engineers from Amazon/AWS, Goldman Sachs, OKCupid, Seamless/Grubhub and ExxonMobil research as well as top-of-the-class junior engineers from Columbia, UPenn and NYU.
About the Role
Backend software engineers at SevenRooms build the cloud-based software on which the rest of the product depends on. Our backend engineers are responsible for maintaining 99.999% availability in a completely cloud-native, serverless environment while quickly iterating on platform-level features.
As a Backend Software Engineer, some technical challenges faced include:
- Integrating with a wide variety of external data sources, each with their own nuances.
- Implementing an algorithm to efficiently seat guests to maximize the amount of customers a restaurant can have.
- Implementing a machine-learning based system to automatically label guests (e.g. Peanut Allergy, Prefers Red Wine) using all available data.
- Implementing search functionality with a proprietary relevance algorithm that provides personalized results for each user.
- Using edge-computing to process requests in a datacenter closest to a user.
- Maintaining strict SLAs regarding performance across multiple systems.
What You'll Do
- Build our core platforms, systems and infrastructure using your strong background in distributed systems. For example, the core reservation management subsystem.
- Manage individual projects priorities, deadlines and deliverables with your technical expertise.
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and enhance software solutions.
Who You Are
- You know what FizzBuzz is and how to solve it.
- An undergraduate degree in Computer Science or a similar technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Strong expertise with algorithms, data structures, complexity analysis and software design.
- Three or more years of relevant work experience in software design and development, ideally in a *nix environment.
- Professional coding experience in C/C++, Java (or another JVM language), Python or Go.
- Experience architecting and developing large scale distributed systems. Experience in concurrency, multithreading and synchronization, API backends, and storage technologies.
- Working proficiency and communication skills in verbal and written English.
- MS /PhD in computer science or related technical field.
- Interest in functional programming.
- Understanding of cloud-native technologies for computing, networking, and persistence.
- Knowledge of Google Cloud and/or Google App Engine
- Solve the hidden puzzle in this job description.
What We Offer
- Competitive salaries and flexible work life balance
- Equity share in a growing business
- Unlimited Vacation. We trust you to take the time you need to be your most productive self.
- A full slate of benefits coverage including: medical, dental, vision, and pre-tax commuter benefits, gym reimbursements, and unique memberships through One Medical and Perkspot
- A fun, vibrant office environment in Chelsea with a smart and passionate team doing incredible things to disrupt the hospitality tech space. Plus we're dog-friendly (woof!).
We believe that when insight and instinct combine, people and businesses thrive.
At SevenRooms, we're on a mission to help hospitality operators own direct relationships with their guests, building stronger businesses through personalized service and marketing. Our clients are some of the largest, most reputable restaurant, nightlife, hotel and concierge brands in the world. We provide these companies with mission-critical tools to run their business and manage millions of visits at their properties.
A career at SevenRooms means you'll be working alongside incredibly talented professionals with a passion for hospitality. We believe deeply in the power of meaningful connections, and it shows in the products we build and the people we hire.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.