Working directly with the country’s largest beverage alcohol suppliers, importers and producers, the SevenFifty Daily Senior Editor will join a team of editors, creative designers, and content producers to craft relevant, timely, and engaging editorial and sponsored content stories targeted towards SevenFifty Daily and Beverage Media Group’s drinks trade audience.
If you’re ready to use your reported journalism and editing skills to tell timely and compelling stories and are passionate about the wine, beer, and spirits industry, this role is for you. You can be located anywhere in the U.S. and will report to the executive editor of SevenFifty Daily / Beverage Media Group.
What you’ll do:
- Manage freelance writers to shape feature articles, new stories, and content that is timely, engaging and compelling from assignment through invoicing.
- Identify new editorial and sponsored content freelance writers with diverse backgrounds and perspectives to contribute to the publication.
- Write hed/dek, ad copy, story starts, social media taglines that optimize digital search.
- Copy-edit and proof stories, work with writers to find best sources, fact-check, secure images, draft captions.
- Develop and share feature story ideas, writing and reporting both short and in-depth features as needed.
- Coordinate visual assets as needed.
- Oversee execution of social media strategy; write social media copy and schedule content for posting.
- Oversee the editorial production of sponsored content projects, including communicating with clients about their editorial vision for sponsored pieces, leading key kick-off calls, assigning freelance writers, and editing sponsored content pieces to ensure quality control and performance.
- Ensure style and quality control and maintain SevenFifty Daily voice and style in sponsored content pieces.
- Select and ensure images for sponsored content work editorially.
- Participate in weekly Partnerships, Beverage Media Group, and editorial team meetings.
- Track article performance across audiences.
- Develop relationships with industry contacts and key PR/communications professionals to broaden the publication’s source and panelist pool.
Skills you’ll need:
- Flexibility, adaptability, and ability to function in fast-moving, dynamic work environment
- Strong writing skills and experience with reported journalism
- Strong developmental editing and copyediting skills
- Meticulous attention to detail and accuracy (fact-checking), as well as the bigger picture vision for balance, diversity, and tone
- Familiarity with trade voice and ability to adapt to SFD tone and style
- Strong understanding of beverage alcohol and the beverage alcohol industry
- Efficiency under pressure and able to meet multiple weekly and monthly deadlines
- Strong understanding of SEO best practices
- Experience working with WordPress
- Ability to write original content, engaging ad copy, headlines/dek, and social copy
- Ability to assess what writing looks like. Able to lead, guide, and direct freelance writers to craft compelling and unique content through multiple rounds of edits
- Competency working in Asana, Dropbox, Adobe InCopy, Google docs/sheets, or similar tools
- Ability to brainstorm creative story ideas and turn them into engaging editorial
- Professional client management and communication skills; ability to work with range of clients and advertisers
- Ability to problem solve independently
- Cooperation, courtesy, and accountability
- Ability to work collaboratively across multiple teams (editorial, partnerships, creative services, business development, marketing)
- The ability to be accountable for your own time in a fully remote environment (and a reliable source of internet)
- Respect for the industry we serve
What you do NOT need:
- An address in or around New York City
- Any equipment – we’ll provide a MacBook and monitor
- A degree in journalism
The interview process (the parts are typically scheduled separately):
- Initial Zoom screen (30 minutes): overview of the company, the role, and your background, with the executive editor of SevenFifty Daily/Beverage Media Group
- Team interview (45 minutes): Q&A
- Editing exercise (to take home and work on at your convenience)
- Any necessary follow-up conversations
- Reference & background checks
More about us:
- Our editorial and partnerships teams generally work from 10am to 6pm Eastern Time, but individuals may establish their schedule according to the needs of the team balanced with their availability.
- Our #parents Slack channel currently has 20 members who have ample leeway to balance their work time against taking care of their families.
- We have a wide range of opt-in social events, lunch-n-learns, and special interest groups to ensure everyone has opportunities to connect and develop in a remote environment.
...110-ish people and growing fast
...doing our best to make a difference. Read more here
...former hospitality professionals and start-up veterans
...distributed; we work remotely and gather together a few times each year
...social! We meet for team weeks, wine tastings, and lunch n’ learn sessions
...eaters and drinkers who love to discuss food and beverage
...changing an industry. Read more here
...one of Built In NY’s “Best Places to Work” 2021!
Find out what it's like to work at Sevenfifty here.
Perks & benefits:
- 100% paid individual medical, dental, and vision via Justworks and Aetna
- Meaningful equity in an industry-changing organization
- Unlimited vacation to rest and recover
- 3 months of family leave to care for your child (after your first year of employment)
- Flexibility to work where you want, so long as you’re meeting your goals
- Light the way: Inspire others with your vision for success
- Open the door: Ask, listen, and empower others
- Stir it up: Embrace experimentation and bring new ideas to life
- Keep the glass full: Do more than is expected, for yourself and for others
- Respect the craft: Commit to excellence and integrity in your work
We are an equal opportunity employer. What does that mean at SevenFifty? We:
- Give each team member an equal opportunity to develop and grow into a leadership role.
- Acknowledge our shortcomings and try to do improve our company and our industry.
- Elevate underrepresented voices in our industry publication, SevenFifty Daily.
- Do not discriminate against candidates or employees on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or socioeconomic status.
- Have regular, sometimes awkward, conversations about diversity, equity, and inclusion in our employee resource group, SevenFifty Community.