Working directly with the country’s largest beverage alcohol suppliers, importers and producers, SevenFifty’s Engineering Director will lead all of our full-stack product development teams (currently 13 engineers and leads organized as three squads). We're looking for a proven leader whose enthusiasm and experience can help us build impactful, scalable products to fulfill our mission of connecting all sides of the beverage alcohol industry with data and technology.
If you are uncertain whether you are qualified, especially if you are a woman, gender-diverse, or of an under-represented minority, please apply! We would much prefer to have an extra application to consider than have you screen yourself out.
What you’ll do:
- Management & coaching: develop people management frameworks and coach your managers on development, trust-building, and process design.
- Operate as an autonomous cross-functional expert in your field. What this looks like with:
- Product: Collaborate on our roadmap, designing communication structures between the squads and their PMs, and on prioritizing technical innovation.
- Senior leadership: Participate in long-term budget and hiring planning; provide input on strategies as they're being developed, including product direction, company culture, and potential M&A.
- Other teams across the org: Develop relationships with teams across the organization (like support, implementation, and dev platform/ops) to identify cross-functional opportunities and align on solutions.
- Own staffing and recruiting for your teams: identifying roles to fill, organizing the squads appropriately, doing hands-on recruiting, and coaching your managers through hiring processes. We'll expect you to grow a fourth squad in your first six months.
- Reinforce our culture of learning, collaborating, and taking ownership.
- Define a vision for engineering excellence, and set measurable goals with your team to reach it.
What you'll have:
- Experience leading multiple agile development teams.
- Familiarity with the full range of technical concepts related to application development, from frontend frameworks to infrastructure.
- A people-first mindset to management, and a deep passion for helping your team members grow.
- Strong opinions in all areas of software development and leadership, and a readiness to share them without being dogmatic.
- Expertise with hiring and designing roles & teams.
- Demonstrated success building great products on top of strong technical foundations.
- Respect for the industry we serve.
What you do NOT need:
- A college degree, or high GPA or SAT score.
- An address in or around New York City.
- Any equipment – we’ll provide a MacBook and monitor.
- To drink alcohol! Many of our colleagues do not.
More about our technology & engineering team:
- Our product development team is currently organized around three missions:
- Marketplace - the sales, marketing, and ordering experience in our wholesale marketplace
- Data Experience - the end-to-end experience our customers' data, including tooling for our implementation and support teams, user-facing data management workflows, and enrichment of our product catalog
- API Services - services like search and order processing that are both used by the web applications and integrated by some of our customers directly
- Most of our applications are built as a handful of external and internal Rails apps. We've recently begun our journey towards a more service-oriented architecture
- We primarily use Heroku and EC2 machines for hosting our web apps and background processes
- Our frontends are a combination of React, vanilla JS, and CoffeeScript, in a mix of SPA-style and server-rendered views
- The rest of our stack & tooling includes PostgreSQL (in RDS), Solr, RabbitMQ, and CircleCI
...100-ish people and growing fast.
...doing our best to make a difference. Read more here.
...former hospitality professionals and start-up veterans.
...distributed; we work remotely and gather together a few times each year.
...social! We meet for team weeks, wine tastings, and lunch n’ learn sessions.
...eaters and drinkers who love to discuss food and beverage.
...changing an industry. Read more here.
...one of Built In NY’s “Best Places to Work” 2021!
Find out what it's like to work at Sevenfifty here.
Perks & benefits:
- 100% paid individual medical, dental, and vision via Justworks and Aetna.
- Meaningful equity in an industry-changing organization.
- Unlimited vacation to rest and recover.
- 3-months of family leave to care for your child (after your first year of employment).
- Flexibility to work where you want, so long as you’re meeting your goals.
- Light the way: Inspire others with your vision for success.
- Open the door: Ask, listen, and empower others.
- Stir it up: Embrace experimentation and bring new ideas to life.
- Keep the glass full: Do more than is expected, for yourself and for others.
- Respect the craft: Commit to excellence and integrity in your work.
We are an equal opportunity employer. What does that mean at SevenFifty? We:
- Give each team member an equal opportunity to develop and grow into a leadership role.
- Acknowledge our shortcomings and try to do improve our company and our industry.
- Elevate BIPOC voices in our industry publication, SevenFifty Daily.
- Do not discriminate against candidates or employees on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or socioeconomic status.
- Have regular, sometimes awkward, conversations about diversity, equity, and inclusion in our employee resource group, SevenFifty Community.
- Are honest and recognize that our company isn’t as diverse as it should be. We’re trying to change that.