Sentry's mission is to empower software development teams to build better products, faster. Our open source crash reporting platform helps almost a million developers and tens of thousands of software teams at some of the internet's most loved websites/apps (Dropbox, Uber, Airbnb, Stripe, Atlassian, and many more) discover, triage, and resolve production software issues, so they can spend less time debugging and more time building software.
About this role
The Engineering Operations team is responsible for the deployment, configuration, maintenance and monitoring of Sentry's hosted platform. We do this by leveraging automation tools to automatically spin up and scale services to meet the traffic demands of 1,000,000+ developers. Sentry receives over a billion events a day, and process terabytes of data to return complex aggregations with sub-second latency.
As a Senior Operations Engineer, you will work with our Infrastructure team to evolve Sentry's data storage systems to handle 100x our current event volume. You'll do this by automating the addition of instances to our Kafka and ClickHouse clusters, and researching and implementing new ways of increasing the performance and resilience of those systems. You’ll contribute to vision of Engineering Operations in a world of cloud providers, and when nothing else needs your attention, you will aid other engineering teams in in their efforts to grow and sustain Sentry.
If you're looking for a high-impact role where you move a company from processing "big data" to "really big data", this could be the job for you.
- Ensure the uptime and reliability of Sentry's hosted platform.
- Architect and automate services and systems to meet the demand of scale.
- Perform routine upgrades on Production-critical databases (Postgres, ClickHouse, Redis).
- Research and tune databases to operate at maximum efficiency.
- Collaborate with other Engineering teams to deploy and scale new and existing services.
- Be a member of the Engineering Operations team's on-call rotation, and be available to respond and resolve critical issues.
You’ll succeed at this role if:
- You’re not afraid to dig into Linux internals during the troubleshooting process.
- You've experienced leading the way
- You've seen networks make and break hosted solutions; and have direct experience with growing and maintaining distributed systems.
- You’re familiar with the various SaaS ecosystems and have taken ownership of a service you once knew nothing about.
- You've got a story (or two) of royally goofing it and can tell us why it would never happen again under your watch.
Examples of projects our team has worked on:
- Migration from Bare Metal Servers to Google Cloud
- Snuba, Sentry's new Search Infrastructure
- Mitigating Risk while Migrating to ClickHouse
- Sentry's Symbolication Service
- 4+ years relevant experience
- Strong knowledge of replicated and distributed data storage systems
- You have experience with some or all of the following tools we leverage:
- System Administration: Debian, GCE, Docker
- Databases: PostgreSQL, ClickHouse, Kafka
- Environment Management: Saltstack, Kubernetes, Terraform
- TCP/HTTP Routing: HAProxy, NGINX, Envoy
- Data Streaming Platforms: Kafka, RabbitMQ
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and ability to articulate technical concepts clearly and succinctly
- In the San Francisco Bay Area or willing to relocate
- Contribute to an open source product used by tens of thousands of companies
- Be part of an experienced and renowned team that has worked on some of the world's most popular software products and open source tools
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Commuter subsidy
- Charitable matching program
- Generous parental leave policy and 529 College Savings Plan
- Flexible working schedule and vacation policy, and real work/life balance
- Company events (Hack Weeks, All Hands, quarterly social events) and friends and family events
- Relocation assistance
Sentry values diversity and inclusivity in our company and is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.