The Sentry Story
Our Co-Founders David Cramer and Chris Jennings realized that developers are at the core of virtually every organization, building and managing the software that makes modern businesses tick. With the developers' workflow in mind, they started an open-source side project that has now turned into a well-loved product used by 1M+ developers.
It is our mission to empower software development teams to build better products, faster. Our application monitoring platform helps millions of developers discover, triage, and resolve software issues, so they can spend less time debugging and more time doing what they love... building software.
About the Role / Impact
The Product Engineering organization is responsible for nearly all of Sentry's user-facing product development. This scope includes (but is not limited to) our web-based dashboard for assessing issue impact, workflow tools for assignment and resolution, alerting mechanisms, our developer API and integration platform, authentication and identity, and more.
As Engineering Manager in Product Engineering, you’ll lead four to seven cross-functional engineers across multiple teams tasked with improving and expanding the Sentry product. You'll work closely with your team, product managers, designers, and other engineering teams to build features that provide value to our users and align with business goals. You'll inspire your teams to do their best work by cultivating a strong team identity, performing regular 1:1s and career coaching, planning aggressive-but-realistic milestones, and by keeping everyone accountable. You'll grow your teams both by leveling up engineers, as well as being responsible for hiring – regularly interviewing talented candidates, convincing them to join our mission to have Sentry in every developer's toolbox.
If you want to lead a team of strong product-minded software engineers building a mission critical open source development tool, this could be the role for you.
You’ll love this job if:
- You enjoy mentorship and helping engineers grow
- You take pride in building features that don’t just work, but are also delightful to use
- You want to join a modern software development team that iterates and ships code rapidly
- You want to contribute to an open source product
In this role, you will:
- Grow and develop a team of talented and motivated engineers with high expectations around individual ownership and impact
- Set direction for the team, anticipating strategic and scaling-related challenges
- Assist with sprint planning and task estimation
- Contribute to Sentry’s technical and product strategy
- Foster a healthy and collaborative culture that embodies our values
You'll be successful in this role if you have:
- 7+ years industry experience in software engineering, with considerable experience building full stack web applications
- 2+ years of people management experience
- A strong empathy for user experience; you care deeply about product experience and delivering real value to users
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and an ability to articulate technical concepts clearly and succinctly
- Live in the San Francisco Bay Area, or are willing to relocate
Examples of projects our team has worked on:
- Augmenting error reports with Git commit data
- Workflow improvements to resolution and silence
- @ Your teammates with Mentions
- Keep an eye on new code with deploys
To Learn More About Sentry
- We just raised our series C! Learn more on VentureBeat, Business Insider, and TechCrunch.
- We're constantly writing about...us. Check out our blog here.
- We're also tweeting away. Keep up with us on Twitter.
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage for employees, 75% company-paid for dependents
- Monthly commuter subsidy
- 401k program
- Learning & Development stipend
- Charitable matching program
- Generous parental leave policy
- Flexible working schedule and vacation policy, work from home policy, and real work/life balance
- Friday catered lunches
- Company events (Hack Weeks, All Hands, quarterly social events) and friends and family events
- Relocation assistance
Sentry values diversity and inclusivity in our company and is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.