Sentry's mission is to empower software development teams to build better products, faster. Our open source crash reporting platform helps almost a million developers and tens of thousands of software teams at some of the internet's most loved websites/apps (Dropbox, Uber, Airbnb, Stripe, Atlassian, and many more) discover, triage, and resolve production software issues, so they can spend less time debugging and more time building software.
About this role
Sentry is one of many tools developers use to create and ship high-quality production software. The Ecosystem team is tasked with connecting Sentry with this wider set of developer tools, by continually expanding and improving our API platform, as well as building first-class integrations with the industry's most popular products (GitHub, Slack, etc.). The goal: making sure Sentry works nicely with every team's preferred development workflow.
As a Sr. Software Engineer on the Ecosystem team, you'll take on a lead role in growing our developer API platform and first-class integrations. This platform doesn't just allow external integrators to communicate with our REST API; it lets them augment the in-application user experience with new product capabilities. You'll work directly with major partners and 3rd-party developers to validate your progress, ensure the success of integrators, and ultimately deliver a world-class integration platform.
If you want to work in a high-leverage role where you're not just building product features – you're building a platform in which anybody can build on top of – this could be the job for you.
- Expand Sentry's Integration Platform across multiple categories and types of partners
- Ensure Sentry's first-class integrations (GitHub, Slack, etc.) remain best-in-class
- Communicate with internal and external engineering teams
- Make architectural decisions based on wants and needs of external engineering teams
- Review code and mentor less-experienced teammates
- Lead design and discussions around projects the team is working on
- Improve the experience external developers have when interacting with our API and Integration Platform features
- Improve the long-term quality of Sentry's Integration Platform and codebase
- 5+ years building web applications
- 2+ years building high traffic web applications at scale
- Experience with Python, Git, and PostgreSQL (or other relational databases)
- Can write robust, well designed, full-stack code while understanding the long-term tradeoffs of your choices
- Experience and interest in API design and best practices
- Experience building, maintaining, and improving public APIs that internal and external consumers rely on.
- Experience navigating large codebases
- Experience building distributed web software and understanding the tradeoffs of design decisions
- Experience operating web applications in production using metric and data driven tools.