Sense Photonics is seeking an experienced Materials Processing Engineer to play a critical role in building the next-generation of LiDAR systems for autonomous vehicles, UAVs, industrial automation and other applications. This position will focus on the evaluation of new materials and development of processes and techniques to utilizes these materials in the manufacture of our LiDAR system. The candidate should have a deep theoretical grasp of Materials Science and be a hands-on “doer”, eager to take ownership of problems and solve them with minimal oversight. Innovation, creativity and collaborative problem-solving abilities are required.
- Evaluate novel semiconductor substrate and packaging materials for suitability in automotive and industrial electronics applications.
- Develop processes for electronics packaging, addressing thermal, mechanical, and electrical considerations.
- Characterize adhesives, epoxies, ceramics, and other materials to optimize LiDAR system performance.
- Work with Fabrication and Test teams to identify key areas for system improvements.
- Evaluate performance and reliability data to determine pareto of improvement activities.
- Explore creative approaches to leverage new materials technologies to produce world-case devices for LiDAR.
- Promote a safe work environment, employee ownership of quality and continuous improvement.
- Strong, in-depth understanding of materials science and electronics packaging technology.
- Experience with the wafer bonding and wafer-scale packaging microfabrication processes.
- Graduate Degree in Materials Science, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or an equivalent field.
- Minimum 5 years of hands-on processing experience with semiconductor substrates and/or packaging materials.
- Strong analytic and communication skills, flexibility, and ability to work well in a dynamic, multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Knowledge of automotive packaging and reliability requirements.
We are passionate about building the next generation of LiDAR systems for autonomous vehicles, UAVs, industrial automation and many other applications. Our core technology – protected by over 200 patents – enables a simple, high-performance, solid state solution with no moving parts that can meet the rigorous performance, reliability and cost requirements of the automotive industry.
Sense Photonics was founded in 2016 and is based in Research Triangle Park, NC and is an equal opportunity employee. We are backed by several top tier venture capital firms and have already developed strong customer traction for our solution. We are committed to building a world-class company that designs and builds the world’s best 3D sensor systems.