Sense Photonics is seeking an experienced, hands-on Device Characterization and Yield Engineer to play a critical role in building the next-generation of LiDAR systems for autonomous vehicles, UAVs, industrial automation and other applications. This position will focus on the semiconductor device characterization and fabrication yield improvement for our LiDAR system. This will require a candidate with the ability to work across multiple disciplines. The candidate should be a hands-on “doer”, eager to take ownership of process challenges and execute detailed instructions with minimal oversight. Innovation, communication and collaborative problem-solving abilities are required.
- Develop characterization capabilities for III-V semiconductor VCSELs and related devices, including Light-Current-Voltage (LIV), output spectral response measurements, and thermal effects.
- Perform wafer-level probe and discrete device testing to determine parameters, including Threshold Current, Optical Power Output, Series Resistance, Slope Efficiency, and Leakage Current. Track and communicate results to the design and fabrication teams to help drive device improvements.
- Evaluate new part designs based on device knowledge and existing empirical results, in terms of potential performance and yield impacts.
- Establish systems for in-line and end-of-line defect inspections to identify leading failure modes and enable yield improvements.
- Document test and inspection instructions, test criteria, and non-conformance actions in support of the manufacturing quality system.
- Promote a safe work environment, employee ownership of quality and continuous improvement.
- Strong, in-depth understanding of semiconductor physics, device test, and characterization is required.
- Ability to define, execute and validate test methodologies to expend understanding of device performance.
- Knowledge of SPC, Design of Experiments, Root Cause Analysis is required.
- Understanding of a wide variety of semiconductor process and test technologies, including photolithography, automated defect inspection, and parametric test.
- Graduate Degree in Electrical Engineering, Materials Science, or an equivalent field preferred; significant relevant experience will be considered.
- Minimum of 5 years of hands-on device test experience for semiconductor devices.
- Strong analytic and communication skills, flexibility, and ability to work well in a dynamic, multi-disciplinary environment.
- Specific experience with VCSEL and/or other optoelectronics devices preferred.
- Experience working with optical devices, MEMS, wafer-scale packaging, and/or novel substrates in a semiconductor cleanroom is preferred.
We are passionate about building the next generation of LiDAR systems for autonomous vehicles, UAVs, industrial automation and many other applications. Our core technology – protected by over 200 patents – enables a simple, high-performance, solid state solution with no moving parts that can uniquely meet the rigorous performance, reliability and cost requirements of the automotive industry.
Sense Photonics was founded in 2016 and is based in Research Triangle Park, NC. We are backed by several top tier venture capital firms and have already developed strong customer traction for our solution. We are building an innovative world-class company that designs and builds the world’s best 3D sensors. Sense Photonics is also an equal opportunity employer – all applicants will be given equal consideration.