We are passionate about building the next generation of LiDAR systems for autonomous vehicles, UAVs, and industrial automation. Our core technology – protected by over 200 patents – enables a simple, high-performance, solid state solution with no moving parts that can uniquely meet the rigorous performance, reliability and cost requirements of the automotive industry. Sense Photonics was founded in 2016 and is based in Research Triangle Park, NC with offices in Edinburgh, UK and in Silicon Valley. We are well financed, backed by several top tier venture capital firms and have already developed strong customer traction for our solution. We are building an innovative world-class company that designs and builds the world’s best 3D sensors. Sense Photonics is also an equal opportunity employer – all applicants will be given equal consideration.
About This Role
Sense Photonics is seeking an experienced, hands-on Regulatory Compliance Engineer to play a critical role in building the next-generation of LiDAR systems for autonomous vehicles, UAVs, industrial automation and other applications. This position will focus on new LIDAR product development device, and system-level regulatory compliance in the automotive and industrial automation / robotics markets. This will require a candidate with the ability to work across multiple disciplines both internally and externally. The candidate should be a hands-on “doer”, eager to take ownership of compliance projects and execute them with minimal oversight. Experience, communication and broad execution abilities are required.
- Assess the needs and requirements of LIDAR safety and regulatory qualifications testing, primarily in automotive and industrial automation / robotics markets.
- Provide in-depth technical expertise to develop, implement, and manage safety and regulatory compliance accreditations and programs.
- Collaborate with design engineers such as electrical, mechanical, software and optical engineers to drive product development at all stages to meet anticipated compliance and product safety requirements.
- Document product development processes and activities as required to adhere to automotive or industrial automation industry norms.
- Manage relationships with governing bodies, laboratories, and third-party test houses.
- Support manufacturing qualification / standards compliance flow-through of manufacturing partners and suppliers.
- Support quality and reliability engineers on production test fixture designs and quality testing to ensure ongoing compliance.
- Provide guidance to management on planning for compliance matters, proposal efforts such as regulatory surveys and questionnaires, and participate in third-party laboratory selection, company compliance policies, and interpretation of lab test reports and suggest corrective actions.
- Build and maintain an internal database of relevant regulatory documents and regularly monitors for new industry regulation changes
- Advanced Degree in engineering, applied physics or an equivalent field preferred; Bachelor’s Degree with significant relevant experience will be considered
- 5+ years of experience and thorough understanding of industry standards for manufacturing (IEC, IPC, AEC, ASIL, PPAP) and regulatory compliance (UL/CE, safety assessment processes) of electronics products in the Automotive and Industrial Automation markets.
- Solid background in the field of product development “design for test”.
- 5+ years of hands-on experience working with governing body laboratories and third-party test houses.
- Experience working in cross-functional teams and facilitation of product regulatory compliance design efforts
- Strong analytical and communication skills and ability to work well in a dynamic, multi-disciplinary environment
- Six Sigma certification and/or six sigma related working experience is preferred.
- Experience working with optics and/or electronics, lab instrumentation, project management, supplier selection and audits.
- Proficiency using Matlab, Python, Labview, JMP, or other data analysis tools
- Some experience as product quality, reliability, or test engineer is preferred
- Experience achieving ancillary approvals to use certification marks and reports such as UL, ETL, CSA, IEC, CE, RoHS, REACH, etc.
- Experience working internationally with governing bodies, especially Europe and Asia.
While doing meaningful work is the best perk of all, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary team we’re building:
- The opportunity to solve difficult problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Medical / dental / vision
- Flexible vacation
- State of the art equipment for your work station