Founded by Dr. David Agus and Larry Ellison, our ecosystem of products and experiences is designed with one intention: to empower you to grow well and lead the world toward greater wellbeing.
Based on Dr. Agus’ philosophy, Sensei believes we can guide our guests to greater wellbeing by offering experiential movement, rest and nourishment classes and programs. The launch of the Retreats wellness brand took place on Lana’i, Hawaii in partnership with Four Season’s lodging and food offerings by Nobu. In this location, Sensei is operating the lodging operation, as well as world-class golf, tennis, spa, fitness, movement, nutrition, meditative, enrichment and body assessment facilities. In addition, Sensei will run the F&B operation, as part of a licensing agreement with Nobu. Sensei programs and continuing learning sessions are high-touch, evidence-led and supported by the latest technology. You can read our story here.
The primary role of the General Manager position is to ensure the company’s goals and ownership initiatives are met by developing and implementing clear strategies across all departments. The General Manager is responsible for the daily operational success of the Retreat and will work towards advancing the ownership’s vision to elevate and innovate in key areas while managing productivity, efficiency and quality throughout.
This position will be the first of many stand-alone Sensei resorts. It requires someone with strong opening experience and familiar with both the excitement and rigors of brand start-ups. He or she directly oversees Hotel, F&B, Golf, Tennis, Spa, and Wellness operations, as well as technology and the overall guest experience. The General Manager is the local brand ambassador to guests, press, dignitaries and at times, the co-owner of Sensei whose personal estate this is. The role requires an experienced leader who can oversee and work with a senior team of Sensei Guides who are Exercise Physiology, Nutrition and Mindfulness Coaches working with our guests on their customized approach to wellness by applying knowledge obtained through their advanced academic degrees. This role also works closely with the corporate Product Engineers and Wellness Research team. The candidate must understand the workings of spa and fitness with their on-site managers, oversee fitness instructors, wellness practitioners, aestheticians and spa therapists at a Retreat. He/she will be involved with the developing, scheduling and management of all program modalities, including spa treatments, fitness and movement instruction, meditation and mindfulness sessions, nutrition and enrichment classes (such as art, music and cultural activities) and guest interaction and itinerary building with our on-site Guides and Experience Specialists, and central corporate Pre-arrival team who schedules guest itineraries. The General Manager participates in employee sourcing and recruitment, trains staff to Sensei’s philosophy and approach (the “Sensei Way”), trains to its standard operating practices (SOP’s) and keeps them updated, mentors and disciplines employees, anticipates and solves problems, addresses customer needs to ensure the highest quality of service and leverages technology as tools used to enhance the guest experience.
The position requires overseeing departments that develop evidenced-base content and leverage technology, in conjunction with its corporate scientists and engineers, to be incorporated with the hands-on wellness programs and services on property to empower and inspire guests to make healthier living choices. An ability to master some software and technology is critical.
Reporting: Chief Operating Officer
- Ensure the guests have a meaningful experience and are enriched by the programs and services (on property and throughout the island) found in our Experience Menu, always seeking to improve, innovate and create best practices
- Enriching the guest experience and maintaining a strong and healthy team while promoting the Company’s mission, internal culture and brand experience. Analyze and evaluate the effectiveness of program goals and objectives, remain current with the latest spa and wellness trends, products and programs, as well as best-practices, and make adjustments and recommend improvements to the current service menus and SOP’s
- Work with the COO and Sensei Director of Wellness Research in developing wellness related classes and training modules
- Provide guest support and excellent guest service and be the primary point of contact for guests, as a senior representative of Sensei
- Ensure the staff practices and Sensei programs and services are of the highest caliber, reflect our standards and satisfy the guests needs and expectations
- Establish a strong, collaborative relationship with our partners and the hotel operator, Four Seasons to optimize a seamless guest experience, provide prompt full resolution and response to the satisfaction of the guest.
- Understand the Sensei mission, philosophy and brand standards and develop a team culture around the core company mission
- Ensure standard operating practices (SOPs) are in place and regularly updated, and train staff to such standards, including, but not limited to, scheduling, performance management, program protocols, service standards, as well as onboarding, training and offboarding of employees
- Lead by example with the ability to mentor, inspire, empathize and establish and communicate clear expectations aligned with the Sensei Culture, brand standards of guest experience and service guidelines
- Assist Corporate Finance and People Operations, in collaboration with the on-site People Operations Manager, in ensuring work schedules, commissions, product upsells, payroll timecards, and other personnel matters are in compliance with federal and state wage and hour regulations and other labor requirements
- Be familiar with the existing and emerging health and safety protocols associated with COVID-19 and how such events have impacted our business, guests, and employees
- Attend daily stand-up meetings and conduct daily stand-up meetings with your team ensuring all pertinent information is thoroughly disseminated to and understood by every staff member on duty every day
- Maintain and monitor execution and follow-though of agreed upon daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly communication meetings and resulting actions items and initiatives
- Assist with recruitment for key positions, bi-weekly payroll, resource scheduling and staffing based on advanced guest bookings, other program needs and available resources
- Create and manage to an annual budget and P&L goals in coordination with your COO, and Finance Department
- Ability to be a discerning brand ambassador to many notable guests on behalf of the company
- Hold primary P&L responsibility based on an annual budget developed in coordination with the corporate support team
- Monitor program facility set-ups and cleanliness, equipment functionality, and supply inventories
- Provide reports and suggestions to Sensei for development of digital tools to help facilitate the guest’s efforts around their goals and intentions
- Be familiar with and proficient in the Sensei technology used on-site, as well as for recruiting and corporate reporting
- Maintain a strong unwavering commitment to ensure employees are well cared for in their daily work and that wellbeing activities and opportunities for growth are provided
- Any and all related duties as assigned by the COO
- Embraces a tailor-made approach to service and possesses a true appreciation for the art of travel, design, gastronomy and historically significant properties.
- Bachelor’s degree and 10 years’ senior management experience, including at least 5 as General Manager of Hotel Manager in a luxury resort that has a significant spa associated with it.
- Experienced with opening a resort
- Proven ability to develop, motivate and inspire a team of 100 people or more and a minimum annual budget of $15,000,000
- Capable of evaluating and developing spa and wellness programs and assess the products used therein
- Interest in, and open mind to, online data and technology support, including a familiarity with PMS, POS, Spa Scheduling, Reservations Booking, Wellness Wearables and other software and hardware systems found in spa, exercise facilities and hotels
- Familiar and comfortable with technology and applications such as Excel, Word, Asana, Slack and others
- Strong organizational, computer and leadership skills with attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Provide supportive clear direction with an ability to analyze and problem solve while remaining curious and engage people warmly and openly
- Ability to develop and manage a budget and manage schedules and expenses accordingly
- Ability to recruit, retain, develop, motivate and inspire a team
- Strong personal commitment to wellness and motivated to live the Sensei Way
- Experience in yield management and sales to maximize revenues
- Able to be efficient and productive in a dynamic environment
- Knowledgeable in the front-of-house and back-of-house operations of a resort
- Strong teamwork and collaboration skills
- Sharp financial, P&L and budgetary accountability
- Discerning attention to detail, brand presentation, cleanliness
- Experience in networking, dealing with Community associations and City affairs
- Practices confidentiality regarding all Executive, HR, legal, and ownership related matters
Preferred Skills and Abilities
- Knowledgeable in Opera, Book-4-Time
- Pre-Opening and Opening operational experience
- Pro-active and entrepreneurial individual
- While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, use hand to write on chart, talk, hear, see, taste, smell, type on keyboard
- Ability to work flexible schedules including holidays, week-ends and evenings
- Ability to work in indoor and outdoor environments in a range of weather conditions
Traits We Value
- Commitment to a healthier living environment and embracing the Sensei Way and philosophy espoused and science identified in Dr Agus’ teachings and writings
- Collaborative mentality and the ability to recognize how to get things done as a team
- Self-confidence and composure to accept critique, process it, and apply the learnings to improve
- Resourceful and adaptable, understanding that a big idea can come from anywhere
- Open to learning, developing new skills and professional experiences
- Loves a good challenge
- Resourceful and adaptable
- A strong sense of curiosity
- Embraces feedback and constantly seeks to improve
- Collaborative and knows how to get things done as part of a team
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive compensation and benefits package
- 401k and FSA plans
- Subsidized gym membership
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex (including gender identity or expression; pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, age, religion, color, ancestry, disability (including association or relationship with an individual with a disability), marital status, National Guard obligation, genetic test results, arrest and court records, reproductive health decision, domestic or sexual violence victim status, breastfeeding requirements, assignment of income for child support obligations, or credit history or report.