Senior Manager, Carrier Engagement & Performance
If you aren't completely confident that you fit our exact criteria, please reach out anyways. Humility is a wonderful thing - we're at least as interested in your character as in your talent.
Our fast-growing Technology startup sennder is in need of an outstanding talent to join our Carrier team.
Sennder is changing the way people think about logistics. We revolutionize road freight logistics by making it simpler, quicker, and more cost-efficient to move Full Truck Loads across Europe. We offer the best option for moving freight even to the largest companies by providing a network of technology-connected trucking companies. Shippers get real-time GPS tracking on all shipments, and business analytics to improve their supply chain. You can learn more from us here.
As our Senior Manager, Carrier Engagement & Performance, you will be a key part of the Carrier leadership team. You will own the vision and team building a value proposition so compelling it would be irresponsible for SMB carriers not to work with sennder. The role is a central function and will be based in our Berlin or Amsterdam office. You will work in close partnership with regional Managing Directors to ensure we are growing carrier engagement and improving their overall performance. You will report into sennder’s Vice President of Carriers who has full ownership over the carrier ecosystem.
Your Key Challenges
- Drive retention efforts: You will be responsible for building the ecosystem of offerings that help a carrier manage their business and to move multiple repeat loads with sennder.
- Decrease operating costs for carriers: our scale gives us access to partnerships and deals that wouldn’t otherwise be available to SMB carriers. You’ll need to partner with the “Value-Added Services” business development team to identify, unlock, and drive carrier adoption across a core set of key benefits. Think things like: tire and fuel discounts, invoice factoring, rapid payments, and more...
- Define the segmentation strategy for “high-value” carriers: you will need to define carrier “tiers” that consider lifecycle maturity and overall engagement levels. Within these tiers, there may be bespoke offerings and benefits including, but not limited to: dedicated account managers, more robust support channels and SLAs, rapid payments, preferred access to loads, etc. You’ll be responsible for building the foundation for what could become a more formalized carrier loyalty program.
- Improve supply density and liquidity: peak periods of demand don’t always align with peak periods of supply. Finding creative ways to leverage comms and incentives to smooth these curves, and drive more supply engagement across strategic corridors will be a critical challenge.
- Ensure carrier quality and compliance: Our ability to deliver on promises to shippers will be largely your responsibility. Your team will need to build trigger-based, actioning frameworks that waitlist, deactivate and reactivate carrier accounts where appropriate.
- Engage with senior leaders of key carrier partners: Operationalizing an engagement and performance strategy may rely heavily on the support of key carrier partners. This role will require critical problem-solving and negotiation with carrier partners on topics such as: non-compete agreements, asset dedication, and tech/GPS adoption.
- Build a team: this is a new function and the team will need to be built nearly from scratch. You’ll need to build and recruit a team of 4 to 6 program managers over the next year that can scale with the business. An ability to attract and retain top talent is a must.
To get there you will need:
You have the toolkit and mindset for sennder’s 5x growth over the next 3 years.
- Functional Expertise: established experience working across multiple dimensions of freight forwarding business, ideally in digital environments.
- +8 years of professional experience: experience in hyper-growth and fast-paced environments (consulting, investment banking, PE/VC-backed companies, etc), with experience leading a team.
- Product management expertise: in-depth insight into and hands-on experience in product visioning and product management is required. You must be able to recruit and coach a team to think long term, write BRDs, and influence product road-map decisions.
- Data driven, inspirational leadership: strong analytical and data-based approach to find the most high-yield, effective channels to drive customer engagement.
- Operations excellence: this is also about figuring out how to build an assembly line...you should have experience making complex problems easy by breaking them down into many smaller tasks, driving these to the lowest cost delivery location, and ultimately “productizing” to enable machines to do the work.
- Customer Obsession: the best growth strategy is one that focuses on the customer. A passion for working directly with customers and leveraging customer relationships to build company strategy is a must.
What We Offer:
- A part of an international company with office locations in 7 different countries, 40+ nationalities at HQ Berlin office.
- Structured promotion process in order to give everyone the same chance to grow.
- Structured regular feedback process enabling personal development, incl. mentorship.
- Employee’s well-being: in-house gym, unlimited snacks, drinks and fruits.
- Countless opportunities to connect within and outside of work with regular team events and trips, partnership events with other companies and local organizers.
At sennder we value commitment, team spirit, and your personal and professional development. Our mission is to offer our teams a diverse work environment by fostering a very friendly atmosphere and an energetic company culture. We enjoy building and nourishing long-lasting friendships across teams.