Zepz is the group powering two leading global remittance brands: WorldRemit and Sendwave. Since 2010, we have been disrupting an industry previously dominated by offline legacy players with our relentless focus to reduce the cost of remittances and increase safety and convenience for our users. Every day, our people work to unlock the prosperity of cross-border communities through finance and technology - driven by our vision of a world that celebrates migrants’ impact on prosperity, at home and abroad.
Our brands helped cross-border communities send over $15bn from 50 countries to recipients in 130 countries in 2022. We operate over 5,000 money transfer corridors worldwide and employ over 1,600 people globally. Zepz is a remote-first employer, with team members located across six continents.
Our vision is to create a world that celebrates migrants’ impact on prosperity, at home and abroad. Our purpose is to unlock the prosperity of cross-border communities through finance and technology.
- We act like owners - We are relentlessly delivering for our users and spending money thoughtfully.
- We embrace embarrassing honesty - We function best when we're open and honest with one another — especially about our challenges and doubts.
- We have a bias to action - We get to first outcomes quickly, iterate and learn.
- We strive to be better - We may make mistakes, but always learn from them.
- We are inclusive - to better reflect and serve our users.
Please note: This is a Zepz role supporting both Sendwave and WorldRemit
About the role
We are looking for a Full Stack Senior Engineer to join an existing team of engineers working on core transaction creation features across our Mobile Apps. The team's mission is to continually improve the customer experience to ensure that our users can easily, safely, and securely transfer money.
We are in the process of decomposing one of our main applications with a series of GraphQL and decoupled microservices written in Node.js with TypeScript on AWS and transitioning from a complex .NET system on Azure and from native mobile apps to React Native. The mobile apps codebase is a mix of TypeScript React Native, Kotlin and Swift on mobile. We put a special emphasis on automation and unit/integration testing and performance testing. We work closely with our product and architecture team and collaborate with other teams to design scalable solutions that serve our customers.
As a member of Zepz Technology team you will aim high, embrace challenges and always do what’s right; acting with integrity and building trust as you contribute to the company’s technical direction and long-term decision making.
Reporting to the Engineering Manager, you will:
- Contribute & define the architecture of new services
- You are comfortable with ambiguity and able to reach out to different stakeholders to gather requirements
- You take the lead on technical discussions
- Help the recruitment of new team members in your area of specialism, ensuring an appropriate balance of experience (from Junior to Senior) and continually striving to hire high calibre people
- Help onboarding new team members
- Ensure documentation is up to date and there are no gaps in knowledge
- Reviewing and continually improving principles and practices (including standards, design patterns, tooling, build and release practices)
- Communicating technical vision, roadmap, principles, practices and progress updates in your area via presentations, blog posts and other mediums
- Acting as the initial point of contact for the team and facilitating the inclusion of Technology members in discussions as appropriate
- Hands-on participation in Engineering tasks such as coding, peer reviews, building automation tests as part of every day project work in your currently assigned Scrum Team
What we’re looking for from you:
- Have experience in developing React or React Native applications using TypeScript
- Have experience in Object oriented languages (Typescript or Java)
- Have strong knowledge and experience developing microservices using event-driven architectures
- Deep technical knowledge in various testing strategies with a passion for automation
- Have a customer-focused mindset
- Mentor or pair with other team members
- Deep technical knowledge in engineering and agile practices with a passion for learning new or emerging technologies
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Capable of providing reports, presentations, making risks transparent and driving communication effectively within the Team, with Heads of Engineering and CTO and outside to the wider organisation (e.g. writing blog / newsletters)
- Track record of driving the highest level of engineering standards: architecture, coding, processes, and working practices
- An innovative mindset who embraces change
- Ability to develop new working methods and coordinate a team
- Ability to represent WorldRemit on a wider stage by attending/presenting at conferences & meet-ups
What will make you stand out:
- Experience with implementing and integrating GraphQL services
- Experience with AWS
- Experience with Bitrise or Jenkins
- Experience with configuring Terraform and Kubernetes
- Company Pension Scheme - Employer Contribution of up to 9.76% of Annual Base Salary
- Holiday Entitlement - 25 days Annual Leave (excluding public holidays) - moving to unlimited holiday in 2023
- Employee Assistance Programme offering general advice and well-being support, 24/7, 365
What we offer you:
We have five core benefits for our talent in the US, UK, Philippines, Poland, and South Africa. If you're not in one of those regions, don’t worry - the Talent team can let you know what is available for you specifically:
- Unlimited Annual Leave: Most Zepz team members are eligible for unlimited annual leave. Colleagues in customer-facing roles, and those who qualify for overtime, receive a competitive holiday allowance and four recharge days a year. Feel free to make the most
of your time off and maintain a healthy work-life balance!
- Private Medical Cover: You can opt-in to a Private Medical Insurance scheme. This provides you with access to thorough medical coverage, so you can feel confident in your health and well-being.
- Retirement: We offer pension schemes to help you plan for and secure your future.
- Life Assurance: Life assurance is available to give you peace of mind and protect your loved ones in case of the unexpected.
- Parental Leave: We offer competitive parental leave schemes to ensure you are spending as much quality time with your new bundle of joy as possible.
We are also remote-first as an organisation, offering flexibility for you to work where you need to be most productive. In many locations, we have workspaces, which you can use as you desire.
Most roles in the Philippines are predominately office-based, with this we offer free meals for those 100% on-site.
In addition to the above, you will discover that we have a range of secondary perks (such as the cycle-to-work scheme and employee discounts) depending on your location, to help you thrive at Zepz!
Why choose Zepz?
- Our team of over 1600+ employees is fully distributed across the world. We are working from coffee shops, homes, and co-working spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world but we also offer workspace in our talent cluster locations - spaces we can meet, collaborate and connect.
- We are proud parents, community organizers, farmers, band members, yoga teachers, YouTube influencers, former Olympians, and serial entrepreneurs.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Bengali, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili, Wolof, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Irish, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Maltese, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish and Swedish.
- At Zepz, embodying our commitments binds us together. We are collectively passionate about striving to achieve our vision and purpose - to continue to provide the best service to our users.
Ready to apply?
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume along with a cover letter (optional), highlighting why your experience demonstrates you meet the requirements of the role. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization. While Zepz supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skills.
At Zepz we record interviews using Metaview (https://metaview.ai). It helps us become better interviewers by recording and transcribing our interviews, and ensures we interview candidates in a fair & consistent manner. It is not required. Please let us know if you’d like to opt out of the use of Metaview - this will not affect the outcome of your interview.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Zepz is a place where everyone can thrive.
So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, and if at all you might need any form of support to make the process as comfortable as possible, please let us know and give us a shot by applying. We want you to be excited to wake up to make an impact every day.