Zepz is powering two leading global payments brands: WorldRemit and Sendwave. We represent brands that disrupted an industry previously dominated by offline legacy players by taking international money transfers online - making global digital payments fairer, faster, and more flexible.
Our brands currently send from 50 to 130 countries, operate in over 5,000 money transfer corridors worldwide and employ over 1,600 people globally. Zepz is a remote-first employer, with team members located across six continents.
On the sending side, our brands are 100% digital (cashless), increasing convenience and enhancing security. For those receiving money, our brands offer a wide range of options including bank deposit, cash collection, mobile airtime top-up and mobile money. www.zepzpay.com
A world that celebrates migrants’ impact on prosperity, at home and abroad
To unlock the prosperity of cross-border communities through finance and technology
- We act like owners - We are relentlessly delivering for our customers and spending money thoughtfully. Our job is not to do what we can to solve a problem. It's to ensure that problem is solved. If an attempt to solve a problem doesn't work, we seek an alternative. If we need help, we request it, and, if necessary, demand it.
- We embrace embarrassing honesty - We function best when we're open and honest with one another — especially about our challenges and doubts. We lean into uncomfortable conversations and support our colleagues when they do the same.
- We have a bias to action - We get to the first outcomes quickly, iterate and learn. We measure our own and others’ contributions by objectives reached, not time spent. Living a full life outside of work is necessary for high achievement over the long term.
- We strive to be better - We may make mistakes, but always learn from them. We lean into uncomfortable conversations and support our colleagues when they do the same.
- We are inclusive - Both as a team and to our customers, we believe in being part of the narrative of growth for Zepz, regardless of who you are, where you are from and how you show up - as long as it is to better reflect and serve our customers
How you’ll help us achieve it
We believe strongly in building teams that can orient around a well-defined mission and are equipped to execute autonomously against that mission. As a Director of Engineering, you’ll focus on supporting the delivery by the engineering teams that report to you and help develop low-friction processes that support the output of the engineering organization as a whole.
Your key areas of focus:
- Work closely with Engineering, Product, and senior leadership to ensure that company-level objectives are being achieved through your teams and that the quality bar for what gets into production is appropriately high.
- You’ll create high-performing teams with a bias toward shipping without sacrificing system reliability. You’ll use tech debt as a tool to ship and get feedback faster but will ensure your teams have the space needed to “build it right” once they know what the right thing to build is.
- You’ll hire, retain, and level-up superlative talent to ensure our team remains world-class as we continue to scale and launch into new markets.
- Roll up your sleeves and fight fires with the engineers when systems inevitably go down. You’ll need to discuss technical solutions, review PRs, and help execute technical strategy with your leads to ensure Sendwave’s stack remains cohesive and that your teams are solving the correct problems.
- Spin up new teams as we need to support more markets, services, and products.
In your first few months, you will:
- Work with the Head of Engineering and other engineering leads within the company to set up processes and systems that will provide better leverage for the engineers on the team.
- Promote a culture of ownership, accountability, and shipping.
- Root out organizational and system debt to enable teams to ship quickly and independently.
- Hire and retain top engineering talent, including ICs and managers.
On a typical day:
- Work with Engineering Managers and Product Managers to ensure the teams have the appropriate support to achieve their objectives. This will include understanding capacity and timeline but also identifying talent gaps and creating new hiring pipelines when needed.
- Review projects in flight, working with members of your organization to understand the project's goals and edit scope where appropriate.
- Coach managers effectively pay down technical debt and ensure system reliability and robustness.
- Provide effective feedback in-situ, so team members have actionable and timely feedback.
What you bring to the table::
- You have a track record of leading a high-performing org of 20-30 engineers and a track record of supporting the professional development of managers and senior-level ICs. While you won’t have to code, you’ll need to be technically proficient and have a history of working on a variety of problems and stacks.
- Experience working on full-stack mobile applications. At least 8+ years of technical experience as an IC or a hybrid IC/management role.
- You have previous experience managing managers.
- You have previous experience managing full-stack teams or a backend architecture that's evolving.
- You can attract and retain top engineering talent and lead teams with diverse skill sets.
- Work well with Engineering and Product leaders and are comfortable building effective relationships with folks outside of the Prod-Eng spheres.
- Have exceptional judgment; we’re scaling quickly — you’ll be required to make good tradeoffs.
- Have worked at a scaling startup previously.
- Have full mobile lifecycle experience — working with multiple mobile teams all contributing to the same app.
What we offer you:
These are our core benefits for our major talent clusters (UK, US, SA, PL, PHP). We try to offer these benefits in all jurisdictions but that may not be possible; outside of these clusters the talent team can advise what you are entitled to:
- Unlimited Annual Leave: Most Zepz team members are eligible for unlimited annual leave. Colleagues in customer-facing roles, and those who qualify for overtime, receive a competitive holiday allowance and four recharge days a year. Feel free to make the most of your time off and maintain a healthy work-life balance!
- Private Medical Cover: At Zepz we have competitive opt-in Private Medical Insurance schemes that offer 100% coverage for you and your dependents, depending on your region
- Retirement: We offer pension schemes to help you plan for and secure your future. With some regions we match your contribution (the percentage can vary from 4-8%)
- Life Assurance: Life assurance is available to give you peace of mind and protect your loved ones in case of the unexpected.
- Parental Leave: We offer competitive parental leave schemes to ensure you are spending as much quality time with your new bundle of joy as possible. The details vary per location.
We are also remote-first as an organisation, offering flexibility for you to work where you need to be most productive. In many locations, we have workspaces, which you can use as you desire. In addition to the above, you will discover that we have a range of secondary perks (such as the cycle-to-work scheme and employee discounts) depending on your location, to help you thrive at Zepz!
Why choose Zepz?
- Our team of over 1600+ employees is fully distributed across the world. We are working from coffee shops, homes, and co-working spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world but we also offer workspace in our talent cluster locations - spaces we can meet, collaborate and connect.
- We are proud parents, community organizers, farmers, band members, yoga teachers, YouTube influencers, former Olympians, and serial entrepreneurs.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Bengali, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili, Wolof, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Irish, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Maltese, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish and Swedish.
- At Zepz, embodying our commitments binds us together. We are collectively passionate about striving to achieve our vision and purpose - to continue to provide the best service to our users.
Ready to apply?
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume along with a cover letter (optional), highlighting why your experience demonstrates you meet the requirements of the role. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization. While Zepz supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skills.
At Zepz we record interviews using Metaview (https://metaview.ai). It helps us become better interviewers by recording and transcribing our interviews, and ensures we interview candidates in a fair & consistent manner. It is not required. Please let us know if you’d like to opt out of the use of Metaview - this will not affect the outcome of your interview.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Zepz is a place where everyone can thrive.
So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, and if at all you might need any form of support to make the process as comfortable as possible, please let us know and give us a shot by applying. We want you to be excited to wake up to make an impact every day.