Who we are
Sendwave is on a mission to make sending funds to loved ones as easy and affordable as sending a text. What makes us stand out in a sea of similar apps? We deeply care about the diasporas and communities we serve — and that comes with a sense of connection to the markets we operate in. We strive to make life better for everyone who touches our product. That means recognizing and honoring the human experience behind sending money. We do that by remaining fee-free in most of our markets and offering round-the-clock customer care.
Our app is currently available in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, and parts of Europe, and sends funds to 19 receiving countries for over 500,000 users. We currently have a 4.6-star rating on Trustpilot — people put their faith in us to deliver their money quickly, securely, and affordably. And we’re pretty darn proud of that.
How we work
What we’re most proud of though is our brilliant, creative, and tenacious team. Our remote-first workplace means you’ll be working with Sendwavers in Europe, Africa, South America, and the U.S. that all share a core set of Sendwave values. What exactly are those values? Glad you asked.
- Prioritize fearlessly.
There will always be more problems to solve and opportunities to pursue than we have the capacity for. We’re not afraid to say no and are willing to let fires burn, knowing that to win we must discern and execute decisively on the vital few rather than the important many.
- Take full ownership of the outcomes we’re responsible for.
Our job is not to do what we can to solve a problem. It's to ensure that problem is solved. If an attempt to solve a problem doesn't work, we seek an alternative. If we need help, we request it, and, if necessary, demand it.
- Forge a diverse team and inclusive culture.
We believe the challenges we’re addressing will be best met by a truly global, diverse team, working together. We’re not naive to the systemic bias and discrimination that make this easier said than done, so we check our egos, listen deeply, and measure progress towards making this a fundamental part of our success.
- Maximize our rate of learning.
We view projects as ever-evolving drafts and welcome opportunities to discover that what we had in mind won't work so we can move to an even better end state. Most importantly, we do this fast. The faster we run these loops — as a company and individuals — the faster we’ll achieve our mission.
- Embrace embarrassing honesty from ourselves and others.
We function best when we're open and honest with one another — especially about our challenges and doubts. We lean into uncomfortable conversations and support our colleagues when they do the same.
- Maximize energy, not time spent.
We measure our own and others’ contributions by objectives reached, not time spent. Living a full life outside of work is necessary for high achievement over the long term.
Your key areas of focus :
- Lead and scale our 15-person product team
- Maintain a detailed 1-year product roadmap and a 3-year vision, paying particular attention to how we continue to differentiate with our core product and which additional problems we can solve for users
In your first few months you’ll:
- Spend lots of time pouring over data, shadowing growth and support team members, and finding other creative ways to get to know our users
- Mentor our product and design teams, hiring as necessary to build them out
- Gradually assume tie-breaking responsibility amongst the PMs to ensure correct prioritization - and reorganize the team’s structure and processes as necessary to make tiebreaking less necessary in the first place.
- Collaborate with other executives to ensure the product remains aligned with engineering, ops, growth marketing, support, compliance, finance, and other critical teams.
- In conjunction with our CEO, identify the next adjacency to pursue and the key points of differentiation to prioritize in the coming quarters.
What you bring to the table:
- Deep experience building a consumer mobile app in a competitive space. Others may look at your app and say, “Isn’t that a commodity?” but you know your users well enough to know which details matter and how you differentiate.
- Excellent story-telling skills. Authentic narratives are part of the product. Along with others on our leadership team, you’ll be the voice of users to several internal teams, and, in collaboration with our product marketing team, you’ll be the voice of our product to users.
- Strong team-building skills. You’re obsessed with hiring great team members and know how to get the best out of them.
- Analytics mindset. We obsess over user and transaction data, striving to measure everything and constantly monitor (and move!) the metrics that matter most. A fun day for you might be talking with users in the morning and writing SQL queries in the afternoon to answer questions that emerged from those conversations.
- User obsession. If you’re not excited to talk to users - to deeply understand their experience with our service and what other problems we can solve for them - you will not like this job.
Bonus points if you:
- Experience taking a single-use product and expanding to multiple services/use cases
- Experience building products in a regulated environment
- Are familiar with any of the diaspora communities we serve Are passionate about achieving Sendwave's mission and are excited at the prospect of lowering remittance costs for the communities we serve.
- Our company is 100% remote and has been since we were founded. Sendwave hires new team members in countries around the world. Because the majority of our users reside in the United States and the vast majority of our product team is in the US, Europe, and Africa, we’re prioritizing hiring in the US in EST/CST time zones. We’re open to a non-US hire who can travel frequently to the US.
- For this role, we are anticipating travel for about four weeks out of the year, for companywide and team-level meetings. We anticipate an additional few weeks of travel, primarily in the US, to meet users face-to-face.
- Major benefits:
- Competitive Compensation
- Subsidized health insurance and retirement contribution matching (both vary from country to country)
- 26 weeks of fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
And best of all:
- Our team of over 400 employees is fully distributed across the world. We are working from coffee shops, homes, and co-working spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- We are proud parents, community organizers, farmers, band members, yoga teachers, YouTube influencers, former Olympians, and serial entrepreneurs.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Bengali, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili, Wolof, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Irish, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Maltese, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish and Swedish.
- We recently joined forces with WorldRemit, another remittance company. We’re excited about the ways we can collaborate and continue to provide the best service to our users.
Ready to apply?
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume along with a cover letter highlighting why your experience demonstrates you meet the requirements of the role. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Sendwave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up every day.