Who we are
Sendwave is on a mission to make sending funds to loved ones as easy and affordable as sending a text. What makes us stand out in a sea of similar apps? We deeply care about the diasporas and communities we serve — and that comes with a sense of connection to the markets we operate in. We strive to make life better for everyone who touches our product. That means recognizing and honoring the human experience behind sending money. We do that by remaining fee-free in most of our markets and offering round-the-clock customer care.
Our app is currently available in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, and parts of Europe, and sends funds to 19 receiving countries for over 500,000 users. We currently have a 4.6-star rating on Trustpilot — people put their faith in us to deliver their money quickly, securely, and affordably. And we’re pretty darn proud of that.
How we work
What we’re most proud of though is our brilliant, creative, and tenacious team. Our remote-first workplace means you’ll be working with Sendwavers in Europe, Africa, South America, and the U.S. that all share a core set of Sendwave values. What exactly are those values? Glad you asked.
- Prioritize fearlessly.
There will always be more problems to solve and opportunities to pursue than we have the capacity for. We’re not afraid to say no and are willing to let fires burn, knowing that to win we must discern and execute decisively on the vital few rather than the important many.
- Take full ownership of the outcomes we’re responsible for.
Our job is not to do what we can to solve a problem. It's to ensure that problem is solved. If an attempt to solve a problem doesn't work, we seek an alternative. If we need help, we request it, and, if necessary, demand it.
- Forge a diverse team and inclusive culture.
We believe the challenges we’re addressing will be best met by a truly global, diverse team, working together. We’re not naive to the systemic bias and discrimination that make this easier said than done, so we check our egos, listen deeply, and measure progress towards making this a fundamental part of our success.
- Maximize our rate of learning.
We view projects as ever-evolving drafts and welcome opportunities to discover that what we had in mind won't work so we can move to an even better end state. Most importantly, we do this fast. The faster we run these loops — as a company and individuals — the faster we’ll achieve our mission.
- Embrace embarrassing honesty from ourselves and others.
We function best when we're open and honest with one another — especially about our challenges and doubts. We lean into uncomfortable conversations and support our colleagues when they do the same.
- Maximize energy, not time spent.
We measure our own and others’ contributions by objectives reached, not time spent. Living a full life outside of work is necessary for high achievement over the long term.
Your key areas of focus :
If you’ve ever seen The Tinder Swindler , FYRE, or The Wizard of Lies you know fraud is an infinitely repeating social struggle that leaves the most vulnerable to pay the price. The Risk team at Sendwave builds and supports everything needed to aggregate the individual fraud cases and stop the scheme from ever being lucrative for the fraudster.
This includes integration of vendor tools, training new fraud/anomaly detection algorithms, supporting our risk operations teams, and improving our monitoring capabilities. You’ll leverage your Data-to-Insights skills to develop accurate, targeted defenses that remove fraud from our platform.
In your first few months you’ll:
- Set KPIs and scope constraints for new modeling projects to decrease our information lag between fraud happening and us receiving feedback of its presence.
- Develop heuristics to quickly fight fraud.
- Identify missing tooling and suggested verification actions to help our risk representatives make sense of the system’s decision to block and correctly assess the situation.
- Evaluate and spec out integrations for new data sources for our fraud detection algorithms.
- Diligently work to lower false-positive rates
- Develop strategies to detect previously unseen patterns that may indicate a new fraud attack.
- Develop strategies and tools to help less technical individuals develop fraud-fighting heuristics.
- Automate the training and deployment of updated models.
- Develop a new anomaly detection algorithm, helping us spot strange behavior before a chargeback occurs.
- Help build experiments to evaluate new models, third-party data sources, and tooling.
We're building out a best-in-class Risk infrastructure that can enable us to grow and we're hoping to find an engineering manager that's excited to solve data-driven problems in an adversarial environment.
What you bring to the table:
- 4+ years of professional experience training and deploying models.
- At least 3 years creating production models or building analysis in the industry
- At least 1 year managing an engineering team of 3-5 people
- Work authorization in the country in which you intend to be based.
- Possess strong python software development skills.
- Experience in two or more of the following areas:
- Machine Learning (Scikit Learn, Tensorflow, Keras, XGBoost, H2O, etc...)
- SQL Analytics (BigQuery, Redshift, PostgresSQL, Athena, etc)
- Visualization Tools (matplotlib, seaborn, streamlit, Looker, Tableau, Periscope, etc)
Bonus points if you:
- You like building data driven systems and know SQL.
- Have strong engineering fundamentals — you've built applications in python as well as trained model and are comfortable with supporting all layers of the stack.
- Demonstrate tenacity and a willingness to go the distance to get something done. You don't mind doing things manually but automate at every opportunity.
- Are inquisitive, intellectually curious and can make sense of complex systems or information.
- Can work in a structured approach towards goals and pay attention to detail.
- Can easily communicate with non-technical folks and translate their feedback into code.
- Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination.
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions and cope effectively with complexity and change.
- Have developed models that deal with extreme class imbalance
- Have worked in a team of mixed talent before (Data Scientists, ML Engineers, Backend Engineers)
- Have fraud or financial experience.
- Team Composition: The Risk Team is a combination of ML engineers, Operation Specialists, and Data Scientists. Functionally the team is comprised of three pillars (Operations, Data Science, and Engineering) that collaborate in all sprint and quarterly planning meetings to create a balanced roadmap. You will be responsible for the Data Science pillar and directly manage both Data Scientists and Engineers.
- Team Philosophy: The team functions on a 2-week sprint cycle with a Results Only Work Environment meaning you won’t be micromanaged but instead given the creative space needed to thrive in a highly collaborative setting
- Our company is 100% remote, and has been since we were founded. Sendwave hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Recruiting team can help answer any questions about location as we move further into recruiting process. For this role we are targeting candidates in between GMT -6 and GMT +2, hiring within these locations: Belgium, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Kenya, Poland, Senegal, UK and US.
- Major benefits:
- A competitive salary and company equity pegged to it
- Subsidized health insurance and retirement contribution matching (both vary from country to country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
And best of all:
- Our team of over 400 employees, fully distributed across the world. We are working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- Proud parents, community organizers, farmers, play in bands, teach yoga, YouTube influencers, former Olympians, and serial entrepreneurs.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Bengali, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili, Wolof, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Irish, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Maltese, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish and Swedish.
- Our new collaborators at WorldRemit, another remittance company. We recently joined forces, and we’re excited about the ways we can continue to provide the best service to our users.
Ready to apply?
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume along with a cover letter highlighting why your experience demonstrates you meet the requirements of the role. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Sendwave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up every day.