In 2019, immigrants worldwide sent over $550 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal and Venmo, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.
Sendwave's mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world easy and affordable. Since 2014, our app has allowed diaspora members from across Africa — and more recently the Philippines and Lebanon— to send money abroad fast, saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
We are looking to rapidly expand around the world in the next year. That's where you come in...
How you'll help us achieve it
We're confident that the remittance solution we've built for Africa and Asia can scale to any market — whether by significantly lowering the cost of remittances or improving the experience of senders.
While Latin American markets are typically more competitively priced and less ready for instant payouts than the other markets we currently serve, we still believe an opportunity to build a far better product for users exists. This is where you come in. Sendwave needs first-class expansion team members on the ground to help us identify and secure the path to market with a differentiated product in Latin America.
In this role, you will:
- Identify the markets in Latin America where we can offer a differentiated product, and lead our expansion into them
- Foster and maintain strong relationships with central banks and other regulatory authorities in Latin America
- Research and understand the regulatory landscapes in various LatAm markets
- Work closely with our Compliance team to meet obligations and obtain all relevant approvals directly from authorities or through partnerships with financial institutions
- Identify and secure revenue-generating opportunities that will help us deliver on our value proposition in the region
- Manage relationships with key partner banks, aggregators, and/or telecoms to ensure service agreements are met
- Negotiate and secure commercial terms with potential partners and ensure continuous optimization as our business matures in the region
In your first few months, you will:
- Research, scope and develop proposals for launching new markets within Latin America
- Lead our entry into 2-3 Latin American markets where we can offer a differentiated product
- Identify and secure top partners - banks, fintech, aggregators or telcos - in markets like Colombia and Dominican Republic that will help us drive down costs and improve service levels.
On a typical day, you'll be:
- Cultivating and conversing with contacts in your network to conduct market research
- Documenting conversations with partners/contacts to compose research and launch plans
- Scheduling and attending meetings with financial institutions, telcos, commercial banks, aggregators, central banks, and other regulators
- Negotiating commercials, contract terms and service level agreements with partners
- Following up relentlessly on tasks with partners and quickly responding to their requests
- Collaborating with relevant internal units like Compliance and Finance on any other tasks needed in the country launch process
- Location: Our company is 100% remote. You can be based anywhere in Latin America. Brazil or Colombia are a plus!
- Compensation: $92,674
- Permanent position
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance and retirement contribution matching (both vary from country-to-country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- Strong track record of fostering partnerships with financial institutions in Latin America
- Willing and excited to spend up to ~50% of your time traveling to target expansion countries
- Professional proficiency in both English and Spanish. Portuguese is a plus!
- Strong verbal and written communication skills-- you can demonstrate this with a well-written cover letter.
You might be a good fit if:
- You can quickly learn regulatory requirements and prioritize paths to meet them
- You're able to form relationships with senior business executives and regulators by spotting and seizing upon mutually beneficial opportunities
- You put users first in your approach towards executing your core duties
- You are a self-starter, take initiative, self-manage and require little day-to-day direction to be successful
- You’re passionate about achieving Sendwave's mission and are excited at the prospect of lowering remittance costs for diaspora communities
- Our team of over 400 employees are fully distributed across the world— working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- We are proud parents, community organizers, farmers, play in bands, teach yoga , moonlight as YouTube influencers, are former Olympians, and serial entrepreneurs.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Bengali, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili and Wolof.
- We recently joined forces with WorldRemit, another remittance company, and we’re excited about the ways we can continue to provide the best service to our users.
How to apply
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume & cover letter describing your interest in Sendwave below. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Sendwave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up everyday.