In 2019, immigrants worldwide sent over $550 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal and Venmo, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.
Sendwave's mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world easy and affordable. Since 2014, our app has allowed diaspora members from across Africa — and more recently the Philippines and Lebanon— to send money abroad fast, saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
We are looking to rapidly expand around the world in the next year. That's where you come in...
How you'll help us achieve it
A strong compliance team is the backbone of any money transfer business. The North American Compliance Officer will firsthand own fulfilling our regulatory obligations in the US in collaboration with our Chief Compliance Officer and our growing compliance team of 30+Compliance Officers, MLROs and AML Investigators. Your experience in the North American financial services regulatory environment will fuel a robust, risk-based approach to meeting US regulatory requirements that allows us to pursue our mission through launching new corridors and new products at an ever-increasing pace.
In this role, you will:
- Oversee all aspects of regulatory compliance in the US and Canada
- Provide guidance and act as a strategic partner to leadership across the organization by having a good understanding of the US financial services landscape, being a creative and agile thinker and possessing the ability to develop strong relationships across the business
- Represent Sendwave to regulators and partners (banks, aggregators, etc.) as needed
- Lead state examination and independent review preparation, facilitation, and implementation of recommendations from the reports of examination
- Oversee the work of the US Licensing Manager, who manages regulatory reporting to all states and maintaining active licensing in all states
- Assist with handling law enforcement inquiries, customer complaints and compliance training for all Sendwave employees
- Work closely and provide insight to other members of the Compliance team, including but not limited to the AML monitoring team
- Be a critical member of the global business's compliance team and provide support and assistance on an ongoing basis, which will include updating and enhancing the Enterprise Risk Assessment, the US and Canada Compliance Programs as well as many other Compliance related policies and procedures as needed
- US: $142,000 - $159,000 + equity
- Canada: 113,000 - 127,000 USD + equity
- Location: You can be based anywhere in the the United States or Canada. Our company is 100% remote.
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance and retirement contribution matching (both vary from country-to-country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience in compliance and management of compliance programs in a financial services or fintech company, ideally in the money transfer space
- Thorough understanding of the laws, regulations and industry codes of practice applicable to financial services companies
- Experience counseling senior management and company employees regarding compliance risks
- Pre-existing work authorization in the United States or Canada
- CAMS Certification
You might be a good fit if you
- Are a business-minded strategist who operates with a strong passion for and understanding of our corporate mission and guiding principles
- Are passionate about achieving Sendwave's mission and are excited at the prospect of lowering remittance costs for diaspora communities.
- Are a self-starter, take initiative, self-manage and require little day-to-day direction to be successful
- Are quick to learn new information, processes, and procedures and can execute shortly thereafter
- Are eager to work on a small and fast-moving team
- Are excited to review and improve existing compliance policies, procedures, and programs
Bonus points if you
- Have direct experience working with US state regulators in the money transfer space
- Our team of over 400 employees are fully distributed across the world— working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- We are proud parents, community organizers, farmers, play in bands, teach yoga , moonlight as YouTube influencers, are former Olympians, and serial entrepreneurs.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Bengali, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili and Wolof.
- We recently joined forces with WorldRemit, another remittance company, and we’re excited about the ways we can continue to provide the best service to our users.
How to apply
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume & cover letter describing your interest in Sendwave below. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Sendwave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up everyday.