In 2019, immigrants worldwide sent over $550 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal and Venmo, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.
Sendwave's mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world easy and affordable. Since 2014, our app has allowed diaspora members from across Africa — and more recently the Philippines and Lebanon— to send money abroad fast, saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
We are looking to rapidly expand around the world in the next year. That's where you come in...
How you'll help us achieve it
To achieve our mission, we need make sure our app is easy to use for every interaction from signup to sending to editing info to resetting your password. You’ll work closely with our Head of Product to fix highly impactful user problems and A/B test interface changes to make the experience even smoother and quicker. You’ll eventually be the one of the primary code owners of our Android app, and the go-to people for when someone else on the team has a hairy Android problem they need help with, but it won’t be all Android work though— you will need to work across client and server to solve problems end-to-end.
In your first few months, you'll
- Streamline in-app signup and verification flows
- Set up A/B tests to measure the impact of your work
- Help us build a top-tier referral program to help users share their love of Sendwave with their friends
- Advise other engineers on Android development questions and challenges
- Location: North and South America
- This is a permanent position
- Compensation: Worldwide: $117,000 - $138,000 | US: $147,000 - $173,000
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance and retirement contribution matching (both vary from country-to-country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- 3-5 years professional experience as a full stack or front end engineer
- Significant experience working with Android — you don’t need to know every detail of the Android environment off the top of your head, but you should have a strong enough foundation to figure out those details when needed
- Work authorization in the country in which you intend to be based.
You might be a good fit if you
- Care about users and want to make their experience easier and better
- Are more of a “get it done” type person than a perfectionist
- Aren’t afraid to throw away code you wrote when after testing, a flow you built doesn’t work as well as another one
- Can easily communicate with non-technical folks and translate their feedback into code.
- Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination.
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions and cope effectively with complexity and change.
Bonus points if you
- Have worked on a growth team before
- Possess hands-on experience with Python or iOS
- Our team of over 400 employees are fully distributed across the world— working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- We are proud parents, community organizers, farmers, play in bands, teach yoga , moonlight as YouTube influencers, are former Olympians, and serial entrepreneurs.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Bengali, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili and Wolof.
- We recently joined forces with WorldRemit, another remittance company, and we’re excited about the ways we can continue to provide the best service to our users.
How to apply
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume & cover letter describing your interest in Sendwave below. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Sendwave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up everyday.