Do you have a passion for building software that truly makes a difference? Are you motivated by creating the best experience for customers and making their lives easier? We'd love to talk to you! We're looking for a Senior Engineer to join our Product Engineering team at Sendle—a team grounded in values of collaboration, problem-solving, trust, growth, and learning.
About the tech
We believe in striking a balance between using the right tool for the job and keeping our architecture simple. Our tech stack comprises of Ruby, Elixir, React, Postgres, Redis, and Kafka. We use an automated, pull request based, continuous integration and feedback workflow. All engineers can deploy to production and we do so several times a day.
A bit about us
Sendle helps small business thrive by making parcel delivery simple, reliable and affordable. We’re a B Corp and Australia’s first 100% carbon neutral delivery service, to create a simple, user-friendly service that levels the playing field for small businesses.
Sendle is a fast growing business with bold ambitions. We have made huge strides towards our goal of becoming the largest SMB eCommerce courier in the World, moving from a single country operation in Australia to a successful launch and operation in the US. We also launched major partnerships with eBay and Shopify. Our work has a real impact: by powering eCommerce logistics, our software is helping real world businesses deliver real parcels to their customers; this is more than just records in a database.
About the team
We are a team full of passionate, self-confessed nerds and general geeks. We laugh together, celebrate together, and we make wacky emojis together. Everyone truly brings their entire self to work.
We are a 100% remote engineering team and have been since the beginning, with members all around Australia and New Zealand. We get together for team meetups in Sydney every few months (Covid allowing). Sendle is a trusting and flexible work place, making it a great fit for engineers who know it’s the results that matter, not time spent at the keyboard.
How you'll spend your time
Engineers work in cross-functional product teams with designers, customer support, marketing and logistics experts. At Sendle you might work on projects such as integrating with an eCommerce platform, improving the way customers manage their parcels, or integrating and connecting courier networks in innovative ways. That means crafting solutions that are well architected, robust and scalable, finding the sweet spot between simplicity and maintainability.
Let's talk about you
We’re looking for someone who:
- Is excited to build an environmentally sustainable courier business and solve customer problems
- Is experienced in working in agile development practices and TDD/BDD
Loves working in a team and supporting their team members
- Is comfortable working autonomously, with a high degree of personal organisation and interested in leading features
- Worked on mid to large applications
- Has great written and spoken communication skills
- Is hungry to learn and try new things, as well as help others grow and learn
And has one or more of these:
- Knows their way around SQL and PostgreSQL
- Experience with Ruby or Elixir, enough to be able to jump into a couple mid-sized code bases and find your way around
What we’re offering
- The chance to work with a creative team in a supportive environment
- A generous personal development budget
- You are able to create your own work environment, connecting to a remote team from anywhere in Australia and New Zealand
- EAP access for you and your immediate family, because we care about your wellbeing
- Dedicated study time for topics that motivate you. For example, we have a group learning Rust together
- Options through participation in Sendle’s ESOP
What matters to us
We believe that our culture is one of our most important assets. We have 5 key values that we look for in every member of our team.
- Humble - We put others first. We embrace and seek feedback from others.
- Honest - We speak gently but frankly. We take ownership of our mistakes and speak the truth.
- Happy - We enjoy the journey. We are optimistic and find opportunities in all things.
- Hungry - We aspire to make a difference. We aim high, step out of our comfort zones and solve the hard problems.
- High-Performing - We relentlessly deliver. We know the goal and work daringly towards it.
Legally, we need you to know this
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
But it’s important to us that you know this
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better outcomes. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it. If you want to be a part of something remarkable then we’re excited to hear from you.