Sendle builds shipping that is good for the world. We help small business thrive by making parcel delivery simple, reliable and affordable. We’re a B Corp and the first 100% carbon neutral delivery service in Australia and United States, where we harness major courier networks to create a delivery service that levels the playing field for small businesses.
Engineering at Sendle values purpose, ownership and excellence. We want engineers to be engaged with the business and customers, understand why they’re doing something, how it connects to the bigger picture and how it has a positive impact on people and the world.
Engineers have ownership over their work. This means they’re responsible for what they ship to production, how it affects users and the business, and ensuring that it continues to deliver value. They’re also empowered to make decisions about how things are built, how much time should be spent, and when something needs to be perfect or good enough.
We also expect engineers to aim for excellence. This means building a deep understanding of their tools, Sendle’s business, and the systems we’ve built. Engineers should be trusted advisors to the business because they know their stuff, communicate it well and love to help.
Along with all that, we want the Sendle Engineering team to be a fun team in which to work.
The above is not easy, it requires mentoring and support structures, a lot of trust and respect, and most of all, a team that really cares about each other.
Our team is now at the stage where we need help to keep this all happening while we grow within a fast growing business. So we’re looking for a Director of Engineering that gets excited about the people side of engineering, who believes that the best way to have a high performing team that delivers for the business is to have a happy team, where everyone is growing, learning and enjoying themselves.
What you’ll do
- People development: coaching and mentoring developers and teams leads in robust engineering processes, and how to grow as engineers and mentors.
- Driving culture: fostering a diverse and open engineering environment, keeping things authentic, fun and high performing.
- Leading: leading by example, leading with empathy and driving continual improvements to create an environment where people learn from each other, help each other and strive to improve as a team.
- Recruitment and Development: ownership of hiring, onboarding, training and career development frameworks.
- Delivery: Establish systems/frameworks for engineering teams, monitoring performance, impact, execution and delivery across teams. Strive for continuously improving engineering’s capacity and capability to execute efficiently and healthily towards results.
- Business: Working with product counterpart(s) and stakeholders to develop a high level roadmap and vision, and ensuring the technology team is set up to achieve shared outcomes.
- Organisational design: with the CTO and team leads, you’ll design how our team expands, supports the business in multiple countries and interfaces with other teams.
- Operational and Budget Management: workforce planning, and supplier management.
- There’s also scope for specialisation and scratching some itches in this role, e.g. if you really love DevOps you could help the team define operational processes and tooling, if you love security you could build a security management process, if documentation is your thing you could help build the engineering handbook.
- Collaboration with other parts of the organisation and opportunity to grow commercial acumen
- Strategy: Contribute to the engineering and/or organisation strategy; contribute to setting the vision, driving parts of the strategy, finding ways to build a strong engineering group.
What you’ll need
- You have a solid foundation in software engineering, understand what being an engineer entails. You’ve worked in some great engineering teams, particularly in product development, and know what makes engineering teams click.
- You’ve led growing engineering teams before, particularly with a people focus, including designing and managing career progression, the evolution of team structure, and scaling the operational load and maturity of a team.
- You have excellent organisational skills and have managed the administration, budgeting and business reporting aspects of an engineering team.
- Great communication and stakeholder management skills. Are able to skilfully provide feedback and help others to do the same. You’ve created systems and processes that improve communication and alignment across teams.
- A desire to build an engineering team where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, and to do with a focus on people, communication, learning, and genuine enjoyment of each other’s company.
- You are open and approachable, you can relate to the team, build strong relationships and foster connectedness across a group.
What we’re offering
- A chance to do the best work of your career with collaborative / creative / supportive team
- A generous personal development budget
- You are able to create your own work environment, connecting to a remote team from anywhere in Australia / New Zealand.
- Options through participation in Sendle’s ESOP
What matters to us
We believe that our culture is one of our most important assets. We have 5 key values that we look for in every member of our team.
- Humble - We put others first. We embrace and seek feedback from others.
- Honest - We speak gently but frankly. We take ownership of our mistakes and speak the truth.
- Happy - We enjoy the journey. We are optimistic and find opportunities in all things.
- Hungry - We aspire to make a difference. We aim high, step out of our comfort zones and tackle the hard problems.
- High-Performing - We relentlessly deliver. We know the goal and work fearlessly towards it.
Legally, we need you to know this:
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
But it’s important to us you know this:
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better outcomes. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.
If you want to be a part of something remarkable then we’re excited to hear from you.