About Senda Biosciences
Senda Biosciences, Inc. is uniquely positioned to transform human health by harnessing millions of years of evolution to program targeted, potent and tunable medicines. Nature has provided the codes to program human cells – both from within (mRNA) and from outside – from what surrounds them. The trillions of non-human cells in the human ecosystem have evolved natural nanoparticles that precisely shuttle biomolecules into human cells, providing the missing pieces to fully unlock programmable medicines. Senda’s proprietary platform includes the first-ever atlas of nature-derived programmable systems at the molecular level and across all kingdoms of life – accessing the entire code provided by nature required to program cells. With this platform, Senda is developing a new class of SendRNA™ medicines. The unique properties of these medicines create new frontiers for mRNA therapeutics and vaccines for infectious, genetic, autoimmune, and metabolic diseases and oncology indications – with further potential to transform the gene editing and protein-based therapy landscapes as well. Based in Cambridge, MA, Senda was founded by Flagship Pioneering. For more information, visit sendabiosciences.com or follow us on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Senda is a rapidly growing, fast-paced company with multiple platforms in early-stage development for several therapeutic indications. The Process Development and Manufacturing Sciences (PDMS) department at Senda Biosciences is responsible for development, manufacturing and establishing CMC of Senda’s Drug substance and Drug products. We are currently looking for a (Senior) Research Associate, Downstream Process Development to develop, and manufacture, and ensure timely delivery of products under program timelines. The position will report into the Director, Bioprocess Development.
We are seeking to hire an innovative and highly motivated Research Associate to join the Process Development and Manufacturing Sciences group at Senda Biosciences in developing scalable processes for novel mRNA drug substances used in precision targeting of therapeutics. As a member of this team, you can expect to engage deeply in interdisciplinary research. Working as part of a cross-disciplinary team of biologists, engineers, and chemists, the candidate will be primarily responsible for evaluating multiple unit operations such as IVT optimization, tangential flow filtration, chromatography purifications and performing analytical testing & characterization of materials.
- Execute process development using Design of Experiment (DOE) methodology coupled with statistical analysis
- Design, develop and execute in-process assays as required
- Operate various process equipment; AKTA purification system, cross-flow systems, etc.
- Perform routine analytical testing to quantity and characterize mRNA during process improvement and stability studies
- Maintain thorough and detailed electronic lab notebooks and documentation records
- Adhere to all laboratory safety requirements and procedures
- Assist in maintaining general laboratory functionality, including lab equipment maintenance and ordering, and receiving of lab supplies
- Explore, develop and scale-up mRNA processes
- Prepare technical reports and presentations as it relates to process optimization and scale-up to support technology transfer activities
- Nonstandard working hours and travel to contract manufacturing sites may be required occasionally
- B.S./M.S in in biological sciences or biochemical engineering and 1-5 years of Pharma / Biotech experience in process development and characterization
- A proven track record in operating chromatography, Tangential flow and normal flow filtration, and development of innovative unit operations
- 1-2 years of experience in mRNA drug substance process development
- Knowledge of process scale-up, scale-down model development,
- Experience in performing routine in-process assays e.g. HPLC, RNA gel analysis, endotoxin testing, etc.
- Experience in Set-up and troubleshooting process equipment
- Proficient using Microsoft Office suite, DOE and other relevant software
- Knowledge of biopharmaceutical cGMPs
- Demonstrates creativity and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team
- Organized, detail-oriented, and demonstrated independent thinker who continuously seeks innovative solutions
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
Senda Biosciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Senda does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.