Senda Biosciences is pioneering the field of Intersystems Biology to create novel treatments for human disease. Intersystems Biology focuses on how molecular connections between botanical, bacterial, and human cells—coevolved over millennia—define health and disease. Senda's Intersytems Biology discovery platform, built using new techniques in machine learning and computational biology, has been able to generate novel, actionable insights into the trillions of interspecies molecular connections in the human body, and harnesses the power of this "pharmacy within us" with novel pharmacological approaches. The power of the Senda platform is illustrated by six preclinical programs in oncology, neurology, chronic disease, and metabolic disease. Senda was founded by Flagship Labs, the innovation foundry of Flagship Pioneering. To learn more, please visit the company's website at www.sendabiosciences.com
As an instrumental member of the Senda Biosciences discovery platform team, the Computational Biology (Senior) Scientist will pioneer integrative analytical approaches to derive new insights from Senda’s intersystems biology data, thereby enabling the identification of novel targets, bioactives, and biomarkers. The ideal candidate will have experience developing and applying rigorous quantitative methodologies (including machine learning modeling) to various ‘omics data types. They will work as part of a cross-functional team of data scientists, biologists, and chemists to build technologies fundamental to unlocking the field of intersystems biology.
- Serve as an integral member in a cross-disciplinary team driving the development and advancement of Senda’s discovery platform, helping to establish new therapeutic area programs
- Design and implement methodologies (machine learning, statistical, network-based) to facilitate the discovery of novel therapeutic targets, bioactives, and biomarkers
- Derive new insights from unique and proprietary multi-‘omics data that cover both host and microbiome
- Help translate quantitative findings to actionable therapeutic hypotheses
- Operate and enhance existing computational ‘omics data workflows
- Contribute to the culture of scientific excellence at Senda
- PhD in Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, bioengineering, physics, or a related field
- Proficiency in a relevant programming language (g. Python, R) and standard command line tools
- Experience working with cloud-based computing resources
- Foundational understanding of common methodologies employed in ‘omics data analysis, including the statistical association tools
- Demonstrated experience leveraging computational biology/bioinformatics to work in a closely integrated interdisciplinary team and derive actionable biological conclusions from multi-dimensional ‘omics data sets
- Firm grasp of modern statistical methods and application to high dimensional datasets
- Ability to clearly communicate methods and findings to colleagues with varying levels of technical expertise
- Demonstrated ability to process and integrate multiple types of ‘omics data to derive biological insights
Preferred Experience and Qualifications
- Experience exploring biological interactions between species
- Knowledge of metabolic-pathway-oriented analysis methods and experience predicting or annotating enzyme functions
- Experience leveraging basic supervised and unsupervised machine learning approaches
- Excellent documentation and experience with version control, containerization and workflow management solutions such as Nextflow, Snakemake, Airflow, or Luigi.
- Ability to thrive in a driven organization with evolving goals and deliverables
- Personal Characteristics:
- Pioneering: We are one company, one team. We collaborate without silos, supporting and acknowledging one another to accomplish one mission.
- Respect: Senda values respect above all else. We treat all our team members with mutual respect and sensitivity. We respect all individuals and value their contributions at Senda.
- Pioneering Breakthroughs: With great science at our core, we continue to explore and challenge prevailing wisdom to improve and seek the cutting edge
- Patient- Focused: Patients are at the heart of all that we do here at Senda. We hold a responsibility to bring our vision of intersystems biology to a reality for them.
Senda Biosciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Senda does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.