Senda Biosciences is pioneering the field of Intersystems Biology to create novel treatments for human disease. Intersystems Biology focuses on how molecular connections between botanical, bacterial, and human cells—coevolved over millennia—define health and disease. Senda's Intersystems Biology discovery platform, built using new techniques in machine learning and computational biology, has been able to generate novel, actionable insights into the trillions of interspecies molecular connections in the human body, and harnesses the power of this "pharmacy within us" with novel pharmacological approaches. The power of the Senda platform is illustrated by six preclinical programs in oncology, neurology, chronic disease, and metabolic disease. Senda was founded by Flagship Labs, the innovation foundry of Flagship Pioneering. To learn more, please visit the company's website at www.sendabiosciences.com
The (Sr.) Scientist, Synthetic Biologist / Microbiology will work with an interdisciplinary team to develop and operate a robust strain engineering pipeline and advance new bacterial delivery modalities through therapeutic development. This individual will be a key member of Senda’s dynamic, expanding, and collaborative team that combines significant experience in host-microbe interactions, microbial strain engineering, drug delivery, and translational biology to unlock the potential of the company’s core technological platform.
- Contribute to the expansion of an exciting new therapeutic platform by building out a novel cloning pipeline and implementing it in diverse microbial species
- Develop and implement innovative approaches to engineer bacteria for therapeutic applications
- Build and maintain a robust pipeline for designing, building, and testing novel constructs for microbial strain engineering, including high throughput / library cloning, heterologous gene expression systems, and chromosomal modifications in bacteria
- Work with senior leadership to develop and execute the platform’s core scientific vision
- Mentor research associates and junior scientists and foster a culture of excellence grounded in the principles of synthetic biology and microbial strain engineering
- PhD in microbiology or related field with expertise in bacterial strain engineering and synthetic biology
- Experience growing and cloning in E. coli, including developing heterologous gene expression systems and generating chromosomal modifications
- Expertise with a subset of the following strain engineering techniques: lambda red recombineering, Gibson assembly, Type IIS restriction cloning, Golden Gate assembly, allelic exchange cloning, etc.
- Extensive experience characterizing the functionality of engineered constructs, including tuning expression, overcoming toxicity, and implementing downstream assays to inform optimized strain engineering
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- 2 years post-doc or industry experience
- Experience with the engineering or development of live biotherapeutics
- Expertise in microbial cell biology, including subcellular localization, secretion, and surface display
- Experience developing foundational genetic tools in non-model organisms, including pathogens and commensals
- Experience developing assays for novel synthetic biology applications, including analytical characterization of constructs and products
Senda Biosciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Senda does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.