Who we are
In our interconnected world, journalism needs to deliver common facts to divergent audiences. Our biggest stories, and greatest crises, are now global: from climate change to pandemics, rising inequality to supply chain disruption, political instability to the influence of social media. Yet global trust in the media is at an all-time low. This moment requires a new approach.
Enter Semafor. We are a team of deeply-experienced journalists and media professionals laser focused on providing a global audience with an unparalleled level of journalistic transparency; through innovative new forms, cutting through the noise of the news cycle with smart, distilled views, and exploring competing perspectives across borders.
Join us and help build a global news platform you can trust.
About the role
As Semafor’s Director of Live Video, you will be leading video production before, during, and after our wide-ranging slate of editorial events–both in-person and online–as a key member of our live journalism team. You’ll report to the Head of Events, with close coordination with Semafor’s Editorial, Design, Video and Marketing teams, producing and distributing video for high-profile global and national events, including signature summits, single-topic forums, newsmaker interviews, thought-leader roundtables, receptions and pop-up exchanges. You’ll ensure mission-critical streams go off without a hitch, make sure our world-leading journalism spreads as far as it can, and help create new interactive live event-driven video formats atop a strong multi-channel journalism and content marketing foundation. In your role, you will be the bridge between Semafor's editorial video team and our live events team, with a unique opportunity to experiment, innovate, and grow new video formats and distribution channels.
This is a full-time, permanent position, based in Semafor’s office in Washington, D.C. and requires frequent travel between office locations as well as domestic and international travel. Candidates must be willing to work flexible hours and travel on an as-needed basis.
- Develop and implement a live video production and distribution strategy that meets Semafor’s strategic goals.
- Develop content proposals and use sound journalistic judgment to develop new, innovative event concepts and formats.
- Pre-produce event videos with remote interviewees and speakers.
- Work with the Design team to create high quality graphics & content.
- Manage day-of event production, from managing equipment, event AV, and leading streams to hiring and managing freelance help.
- Help edit & publish event-based videos in partnership with our social media, breaking news, communications and consumer marketing teams.
- Work closely with and collaborate with Semafor’s event production staff in support of execution of overall event production goals and program elements.
- Collaborate with Semafor’s Video team to produce interactive livestreaming experiments and make best-in-class video content whenever time allows.
What makes you qualified
- Demonstrable track record of live video production as either a producer, director or both.
- Expert-level familiarity with live video production and livestreaming operations – from sound to lighting and camera, through field recording and streaming.
- Background in broadcasting with live audiences present and virtual event production is a plus.
- Passion for the media industry and great journalism.
- Self-motivated and an entrepreneurial approach to work.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Detail-oriented and able to meet tight deadlines.
- Proficiency in Adobe products (especially Premiere and After Effects).
- General knowledge of and interest in a wide variety of topical and in-the-news subjects.
- Clear experience designing & executing strategies which drive high-impact outcomes.
- An entrepreneurial drive grounded in an eagerness to learn and grow alongside the company as it continues to scale and evolve.
- 3+ years of experience in events, a newsroom, media outlet, public relations and/or communications.
- A Bachelor's degree is required.
The base annual salary for this position at the time of posting will range from $100,000.00 - $150,000.00. Individual compensation varies based on job related factors, including business needs, experience, level of responsibility, and qualifications.
Additional job details
Comprehensive employee benefits: unlimited PTO, medical, dental, vision, short & long-term disability, flexible spending, health savings accounts, life insurance, 401(k), pre-Tax commuter benefits. (Benefits programs vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements)
Semafor, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. Semafor, Inc. will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law