Who we are
Semafor is a global news platform for an increasingly complex world in which consumers are overwhelmed by too many news sources and unsure what to trust. We are building Semafor from the ground up to enable world-class journalists to deliver reporting and insights with rigor in journalistic forms that ensure a new level of transparency. Our editors will distill the most important stories from all over in formats that uncover the forces shaping the stories, explain the interests behind polarizing narratives, and replenish the stock of shared facts. As a global platform, Semafor recognizes that smart people can disagree and that informed readers need to understand alternative points of view from competing centers of power and culture in a multi-polar world. Our ambitions are large, but we’re going to start small. We intend to launch in just two markets globally, learn from our experiences, and grow deliberately. Want to join us? Read on.
SemaforX is our live events platform. We are building SemaforX to curate high-impact, compelling, and consequential editorial encounters between informed audiences, leaders and change agents of our time. We are committed to amplifying bold ideas, embracing culture, embedding diversity in our nonpartisan conversations and setting the gold standard in the global ideas-events industry.
About this Role
As the Director of Events Audience for SemaforX, you will have a key leadership role on the team managing high-profile global and national events including signature summits, single topic forums, newsmaker interviews, thought leader roundtables, receptions and pop-up exchanges. You will use entrepreneurial, innovative, out-of-the-box thinking to develop audiences for our portfolio of newsworthy and impactful high-quality events. This is a full-time, permanent position is based in Washington, DC, with most days onsite in the office.
- Develop and execute comprehensive audience development strategies for all Semafor X events
- Collaborate cross-functionally with key Semafor audience stakeholders, including editorial and sales, to develop and execute data-driven growth plans
- Identify new and innovative ways to engage and grow our audience base, including the use of social media, email marketing and other digital marketing channels
- Track and analyze event metrics to continually improve audience engagement and drive business growth
- Dive deep into existing audience data to identify key trends, growth opportunities and actionable insights
- List hygiene for SemaforX and executive stakeholder marketing lists
- Research and recommend a best-in-class CRM for SemaforX audience management; once CRM is established, ensure that data is accurately and securely transferred post-event
- Research and recommend a best-in-class email marketing platform for SemaforX marketing communications
- Curate highly-targeted lists of relevant audiences for each event
- Build lists of new audience prospects for ongoing and future SemaforX events
- Work with key internal stakeholders to leverage and maximize audience data streams from existing pipelines
- Determine and meet growth-driven KPIs to ensure they align with overall SemaforX audience strategy
- Temporarily manage the development and production of event registration pages and marketing messaging in collaboration with the SemaforX Head of Events and Event Planner
- Provide logistical and backend support on event days as needed
- Work closely with and support other members of the events team as needed
What makes you qualified
- Extensive experience developing audience for a newsroom or live events organization
- A deep background in data management and analysis
- Familiarity with databases useful for mining to build invite lists
- Analytical and strategic thinker
- Advanced understanding of audience analytics
- Experience running tests to optimize marketing and user experience initiatives
- Familiarity with email reporting and analysis
- Ability to clearly articulate and present data analysis to a cross-sector of leadership stakeholders across Semafor
- 5+ years of experience in audience development, marketing and/or research
- A Bachelor's degree is required
- Candidates must be willing to work flexible hours and travel on an as-needed basis.
The base salary for this position at the time of posting will range from $105,000.00 - $125,000.00. Individual compensation varies based on job related factors, including business needs, experience, level of responsibility, and qualifications.
Additional job details
Comprehensive employee benefits: unlimited PTO, medical, dental, vision, short & long-term disability, flexible spending, health savings accounts, life insurance, 401(k), pre-Tax commuter benefits. (Benefits programs vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements)
Semafor, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. Semafor, Inc. will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law