Who we are
Semafor is a global news platform for an increasingly complex world in which consumers are overwhelmed by too many news sources and unsure what to trust. We are building Semafor from the ground up to enable world-class journalists to deliver reporting and insights with rigor in journalistic forms that ensure a new level of transparency. Our editors will distill the most important stories from all over in formats that uncover the forces shaping the stories, explain the interests behind polarizing narratives, and replenish the stock of shared facts. As a global platform, Semafor recognizes that smart people can disagree and that informed readers need to understand alternative points of view from competing centers of power and culture in a multi-polar world. Our ambitions are large, but we’re going to start small. We intend to launch in just two markets globally, learn from our experiences, and grow deliberately. Want to join us? Read on.
Position: Assistant Editor
Location: New York
Status: Full-time W-2
Reports To: Executive Editor
About the Role
The Assistant Editor, Editorial Operations, plays a central role in the smooth function of Semafor’s newsroom and the production of its content and newsletters. This person helps coordinate day-to-day operations across the team, including ensuring adherence to production schedules and other newsroom policies and practices, helps ensure clear lines of communication in the newsroom, and serves as a key point of contact between the newsroom and other parts of the business. The person would also work on administrative tasks in the newsroom. The role will likely evolve and grow as the newsroom does, and as it takes on new tasks and creates new products.
- Help coordinate planning and managing day-to-day coverage
- Help coordinate and work on production of stories and newsletters.
- Help develop and implement production schedules to ensure quality and efficiency of newsletter production.
- Ensure the newsroom stays informed of key issues, stories and policies.
- Be the key liaison between the newsroom and the rest of the company.
- Work on administrative tasks for the newsroom.
- Dive in on a range of duties when needed
What makes you qualified
- 5 or more years of relevant experience in management, ideally in a newsroom or in complex organization.
- Eagerness to participate in a startup culture where people will be wearing multiple hats and pitching in wherever they’re needed most
- Deep familiarity with newsroom systems and technology.
- Exceptional work ethic, organizational ability and attention to detail, coupled with a strong sense of initiative.
- A passion for journalism and creating a new news organization.
- Flexible schedule and a willingness to roll up sleeves and pitch in wherever and whenever needed.
The base salary for this position at the time of posting will range from $75,000.00 - $90,000.00 USD. Individual compensation varies based on job related factors, including business needs, experience, level of responsibility, and qualifications.
Additional job details
Comprehensive employee benefits: unlimited PTO, medical, dental, vision, short & long-term disability, flexible spending, health savings accounts, life insurance, 401(k), pre-Tax commuter benefits. (Benefits programs vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements)
Semafor, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. Semafor, Inc. will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law