Who we are
Semafor is a global news platform for an increasingly complex world in which consumers are overwhelmed by too many news sources and unsure what to trust. We are building Semafor from the ground up to enable world-class journalists to deliver reporting and insights with rigor in journalistic forms that ensure a new level of transparency. Our editors will distill the most important stories from all over in formats that uncover the forces shaping the stories, explain the interests behind polarizing narratives, and replenish the stock of shared facts. As a global platform, Semafor recognizes that smart people can disagree and that informed readers need to understand alternative points of view from competing centers of power and culture in a multi-polar world. Our ambitions are large, but we’re going to start small. We intend to launch in just two markets globally, learn from our experiences, and grow deliberately. Want to join us? Read on.
About the role
As an Event Producer, you will be leading content development and speaker booking across a range of editorial Semafor events that will take place both in-person and online. We are looking for you to work closely with the Executive Director of Events and Semafor’s Editor-at-Large on high-profile global and national events including signature summits, single topic forums, newsmaker interviews, thought leader roundtables, receptions and pop-up exchanges. You will use entrepreneurial, innovative, out-of-the-box thinking to bring to life our portfolio of newsworthy and impactful high-quality events.
- Conceptualize event programming and book speakers for Semafor’s editorial in-person and virtual events that will drive the news
- Lead targeted speaker recruitment on a wide range of topics across policy, politics, business, economy, culture, and society
- Write content proposals and use sound journalistic judgment to develop new, innovative event ideas
- Ensure that all event content development adheres to Semafor’s editorial guidelines
- Collaborate closely with the newsroom to craft compelling, newsworthy, best-in-class event content
- Manage multiple projects, stakeholders, and deadlines
- Build and maintain a strong Rolodex
- Serve as a content liaison with clients
- Provide Semafor’s moderators with briefing materials ahead of events
- Provide logistical and backend support on event days
- Work closely with and support other members of the events team
What makes you qualified
- General knowledge of and interest in a wide variety of topical and in-the-news subjects
- Strong understanding of Washington, DC’s political/advocacy landscape
- Self-motivated and an entrepreneurial approach to work
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Detail-oriented and able to meet tight deadlines
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite, Keynote/Powerpoint, Excel, G-Suite
- Familiarity with Zoom, Webex or similar web conferencing platforms
- Background in television or virtual event production a plus
- Clear experience designing & executing strategies which drive high-impact outcomes
- An entrepreneurial drive grounded in an eagerness to learn and grow alongside the company as it continues to scale and evolve.
- Passion for the media industry and great journalism
- 3+ years of experience in events, a newsroom, media outlet, public relations and/or communications.
- A Bachelor's degree is required.
This position is based in Washington, D.C.
Candidates must be willing to work flexible hours and travel on an as-needed basis.
- The base salary for this position at the time of posting will range from $65,000 to $85,000 USD. Individual compensation varies based on job related factors, including business needs, experience, level of responsibility, and qualifications.
Additional job details
Comprehensive employee benefits: unlimited PTO, medical, dental, vision, short & long-term disability, flexible spending, health savings accounts, life insurance, 401(k), pre-Tax commuter benefits. (Benefits programs vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements)
Semafor, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. Semafor, Inc. will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law